Dry Saflager 34/70 yeast 2 months past expiration stored at room temp.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nosoup4me

Reaction score
I have 3 packets of Fermentis Saflager 34/70 that had a best by date of 9/2017. They seemed to have been stored at room temperature the entire time (72°). Am I looking at a loss of 40%/year in cells?

So originally they had 211 B > 126 B (year 1) > 76 B left (to date)?

I'm brewing a 5 Gallons of Lager @ 1.041 so I need ~290 B cells. Pitch more?

Copied directly from the Fermentis web page.
How long does the yeast last in storage?
The sachets are stable for two years from date of manufacture with no significant loss of viability and fermentation activity. Fermentis dry yeast should be stored below 10C to ensure optimum fermentation performance.

They should be fine for making starters, or you can pitch all 3 packs. I would probably use one to make a starter (and I never do starters)

Rehydrate per instructions before making a starter from it. Let us know how it turns out please.

If fermenting cold, I’d use two packs of fresh w34/70. You’ve got 3 packs of not so fresh. Go for it.

I did recently receive some expired dry yeast from an online store and it fermented just fine.

Back