Dry malt extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sgalvez

Reaction score
Hello,

So I was brewing a German blonde and as I was following the instructions, I threw the dry malt extract and the the hops before the boil even started.... Is this going to ruin my beer? Any suggestions?

Did you then continue on to boil the wort? How long for? Did the recipe call for late hops, and if so, did you add them before the boil started too?

If you managed a good rolling boil for 60 minutes or more, you should end up with a decent beer. If you were supposed to put in late hops but added them early, your beer will have less hop flavour / aroma and probably slightly more bitterness than the recipe intended. Nothing you can do about the bitterness, but its not likely to make your beer taste bad. If you want to add more hop aroma you could dry hop the beer (add hops to the fermenter)

I boiled for a good 45 min as the instructions stated. There was not secondary hops for this one.

Yeah it should be fine. About how hot was the water when you added the hops and how long before it came to a boil?

-Jeff

A question for the experienced brewers - How different would this be than from FWH additions?

The temp for most FWH is lower, usually in the 150 range.
It is essentially a FWH though.

Like mentioned above, your bitterness will most likely be a little higher than expected.

Post your recipe and we can get a better idea of the correct hop additions and how to perhaps fix it.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back