Dry Lutra Pitching Poll

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

With dry Lutra, would you:

• Direct pitch

• Rehydrate before pitching

• Make a starter

Results are only viewable after voting.
My biggest question with a pack of Dry Lutra would be:
  • Pitch the entire pack?
  • Pitch some fraction of the pack?
Kveik strains have a reputation to be very aggressive fermenters and it is often suggested to underpitch. I am not sure how many cells are in one of those packs of Lutra. I recently brewed a pair of 5 gallon batches using packs of dry yeast from kveik.com. They sell dry yeast in 5 gram packs. They seemed to rip through my 5.5 gallon batches (1.045 OG, ~78F).

When I have used dry Lutra and Voss, I have generally pitched at the same rate I would for other yeast.

I used Lutra for the first time last week. I dry pitched and closed the fermenter. At that point, I realized that I needed to retrieve my blowoff tube, as my previous experience with Voss blew all the liquid out of a bubbler.
When I returned and hooked up the blowoff tube connector to the ball lock post, the fermenter depressurized! It was working in 10 minutes!! It just kept accelerating until it ripped through it all in a few days.

I wonder why dry lutra is so expensive, lallemand voss is only 3,5€ while lutra is like 10€.

I have only uses lallemand voss and its goes like a train and give a nice result, so not tempted to by lutra at that price.

Back