dry hops and second fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PoE_fosho

Reaction score
this is my first brew that needs dry hops added to the second fermenter. Do i need to put the hop pellets or whole hops in a cheese cloth bag or anything like that, or can I just toss it in and not worry about it?

If you use whole hops, no bag needed. For pellets use a grain bag or something.

You don't really need a bag with pellets either. When transferring for bottling/kegging, you can siphon around any that don't sink during the dry hop phase.

PoE_fosho said:
this is my first brew that needs dry hops added to the second fermenter. Do i need to put the hop pellets or whole hops in a cheese cloth bag or anything like that, or can I just toss it in and not worry about it?

Dump them in and let them swim, if you choose to use a bag I will warn you up front getting a bag of saturated, swollen whole leaf hops out the opening of a Carboy is real pain in the ......

ok thanks guys, so it seems like the pellets are the only thing that might need to be bagged. Im leaning towards no bag with the pellets... I have whole hops and pellets.....

has anyone noticed when not using a bag for pellets a bunch of stuff in the beer when it comes to racking day?

Back