Dry hopping - whole leaf hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scaesare

Reaction score
So, I have done searches here regarding the various methods for dry hopping with whole leaf hops: use a mesh bag, or just toss 'em in. There are folks on both side of the fence.

So far most of my recipes have been 1 oz. of dry whole leaf hops, and I just tossed them in the carboy. That spread out to a layer "1 hop deep" where most of the hops were in direct contact with the liquid.

This last recipe calls for 2 oz, and now the layer is deep enough that the hops on top aren't really in direct contact with the liquid. They, however, moist as a result of diffusion and some of the krausen from the fermentation.

So, in this specific instance, is there a point after which you really NEED to use a weighted bag, otherwise your additional hops aren't really having an effect?

Any objections to some gentle stirring/agitation to help get more of the hops in the mix?

Thanks.

I have tried both techniques, pitching them in directly and using mesh bags, and after several batches prefer using the mesh bag. Pitching them in directly is tough for me when I siphon out of the fermenter. Always end up getting something stuck in the siphon which slows it down...

I've tried using un-weighted mesh bags full of hops and they work OK. I've also been experimenting with weighted mesh bags lately and honestly can't tell the difference between unweighted mesh bags for dry hopping.

Quite frankly... the whole dry hopping thing has been leafing me a bit desensitized to aroma lately ( ;

Probably just getting lazy with the extra work involved but wishing there was a way to skip it entirely and just pass go... directly to bottling!

I always mix the hops up after a few days of dry hopping. I usually add them wait two days mix wait 3 more days then bottle. I just try not to splash around too much. Never noticed any thing "bad" from it. If I don't do this I end up with hops that never get wet.

Thanks for the responses.

I generally haven't had a problem siphoning out with the whole-leaf hops... the spacer tip on my racking cane seems to deal with the issue well.

I may gently agitate the setup this evening and just take it from there...

Personally I never noticed a problem. What happens is that as one side of the bag gets damp it gets heavier, and the bag spins, eventually it sort of settles into an equilibrium and the yeast and other stuff clinging to the bag pulls it down enough that the hops all tend to get soaked in. As long as you dry hop for a week or so like I do, I don't think weights are necessary.

I've tossed whole hops into my fermenter closed it up, then rocked it around to swirl the hops. I wouldn't think oxidation is a big risk here, but I also wouldn't know. If you ever run into problems with clogging your racking cane, you can always put a mesh bag around the tip of your cane before siphoning. That's also how I'll deliver the protection talk to my children someday.

Back