Dry Hopping, what went wrong

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CEMaine

Reaction score
Hi All
I recently made my first attempt at dry hopping. I made a low alcohol IPA, I like them because I can drink more, and dry hopped it in secondary for two weeks. I used about 4 ounces of my own Willamette Hops. I hung it from a string through the airlock hole and moved it up and down every few days.
I poured the first bottle last night and I barely tasted or smelled any hops at all. What went wrong?

Let me know if you need more info.

I guess I do need more information, because I do not see why you have such little hop aroma. Four ounces of hops and two weeks ought to get you far beyond "barely." How old are the hops, and how did they smell when you put them in? At what temperature did you keep the beer in the secondary? What am I forgetting to ask?

TL

I agree w/ TX. At four ounces, you should have gotten a pretty good hop nose. You wouldn't get much bitterness, but aroma? Definitely. How old are they and how did they smell going in? I usually only need to use 1-2 ounces, max.

FWIW, I've never got a big, pronounced hop aroma from dry hopping with Willamette. Now, Cascade, Amarillo, Centennial, Columbus - hops with a real nose-walloping smell to them when I open the bag - those will give you a really hop aroma when dry hopped.

Rhoobarb said:
...I've never got a big, pronounced hop aroma from dry hopping with Willamette...

I agree. Willamette is more grassy and mild than the "C" hops that are citrusy.

FWIW, I always steep my dry hops in 135 degree water for about 1/2 hour before adding the whole slurry to the fermenter.

I also use buckets to secondary/dry hop.

Willamette is not likely to give you a strong aroma. At least they did not on my last dryhopped IPA. A nice pleasant one though.

BierMuncher said:
I agree. Willamette is more grassy and mild than the "C" hops that are citrusy.

FWIW, I always steep my dry hops in 135 degree water for about 1/2 hour before adding the whole slurry to the fermenter.

I also use buckets to secondary/dry hop.

Why do you Steep your Dry Hops?

CEMaine said:
Hi All
I recently made my first attempt at dry hopping. I made a low alcohol IPA, I like them because I can drink more, and dry hopped it in secondary for two weeks. I used about 4 ounces of my own Willamette Hops. I hung it from a string through the airlock hole and moved it up and down every few days.
I poured the first bottle last night and I barely tasted or smelled any hops at all. What went wrong?

Let me know if you need more info.

What did you use to hold them in? Sounds like you were using some type of hop ball or mesh bag. I think it's better just to dump all of the hops in and let them float on the surface of the beer. That way you are getting more surface area contact with the beer which should impart more aroma.

McKBrew said:
What did you use to hold them in? Sounds like you were using some type of hop ball or mesh bag. I think it's better just to dump all of the hops in and let them float on the surface of the beer. That way you are getting more surface area contact with the beer which should impart more aroma.
I think you're right. Even so, I've dry-hopped with an ounce of cascades in a bag and still got a nice hop nose from it, so how four ounces of hops haven't had more effect is kind of odd.

McKBrew said:

That is what I am going to say is the problem. 4oz of hops, I don't care what hops, should pack quite an aromatic punch. Next time, I would just drop those bad boys in there.

Interesting, I just dry hopped with Willamette. It was supposed to be my 5 minute addition, but doh! I forgot to add them so into the fermenter they went. :D. I should be able to further comment on this in a few weeks.

"Mild and pleasant, slightly spicy, fruity, floral, a little earthy." isn't going to give you a big hop nose regardless of quantity.

RLinNH said:
Why do you Steep your Dry Hops?
Two reasons:

1) Steepng for a bit in hot water releases more of the aroma (in my opinion) than simply dunking dry hops into 65 degree wort.

2) Steeping and then kind of "massaging" those hops in the hot water makes sure they are good and soaked so they don't spend the first day or two floating on top of the wort.

I should note that the pre-steep is much more beneficial for whole hops than pellets.

I'm usually satisfied to simply drop in the pellets right out of the pouch. But then I'm diligent about giving that carboy a slight rocking every now and again to mix thos granules in real well.

I sampled another bottle last night that was at cellar (57 F) temp as compared to the refridgerated one I tried last weekend. The hops note is there. More citrus than bold I would say. I guess you guys are right that I used the 'wrong' hops.

They smelled good going in and I did use a bag.

Live and learn...

Back