Dry Hopping - quick question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MountainGoatBrewing

Reaction score
Stuck a 1/2 oz bag of Cascade whole leaf hops in today, but it just seemed to float...I didn't have the presence of mind to sanitize something so I could push it down under the surface so as to soak all the hops...

Will the bag eventually get saturated on its own over the next few days or should I open it back up and forcibly submerge it???

Thanks!

It should sink eventually, but are you dryhopping in a keg or a secondary? If a keg, I would just let it be. If a secondary, you might want to forcibly submerge it.

It will sink to just below/on the surface and all the hops will get wet. I weight my dry hop bags with sanitized marbles and use a string on the other end so can position them about in the middle of the carboy. The string makes it easier to pull them out at bottling time.

They tend to float, but that's fine. The wort will still saturate them. The only thing you don't want to do is pack them tightly in a bag, as then the wort can't really permeate them. If they are fairly loose in the bag, it'll be fine!

I gotta get some more muslin grain bags for the whole leaf hops. They take up a lot more space than pellets. The grain bags seem to work well with the whole leaf though. They float sorta like an iceberg,90% of it will be below the surface when they all get wet. Works for me...& happy Thanksgiving y'all!

I use pellet hops for dry hopping and even after weighing them down with marbles, they still float and move around. I'll look one day and it'll be at the top of the fermenter and then it'll disappear for a few days. Guess it is bobbing around in there.... hahah

Question about sanitation. Do you do anything to the hops before you put them in? How do you ensure that you're not contaminating your beer?

Question about sanitation. Do you do anything to the hops before you put them in? How do you ensure that you're not contaminating your beer?

I believe hops are naturally bacteriocidal (is that a word?), so you don't need to worry about that.

Back