Dry - hopping quantity?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Murray

Reaction score
I have made a batch of english bitter, and the target stats are :

OG 1.047
FG 1.011
bitterness : IBU 30ish

I want to dry-hop to give a fruity, zesty kick to it. Not to give it anything like a heavily bittered IPA though. How much hops (I was thinking East Kent Goldings, in leaf form) do I add for a 7.5gal batch?

Dry hopping won't impart any of the bittering qualities from the hops into your beer like boiling them does. You will get lots of aroma and some different flavor hints though.
That being said, and FYI this is coming from an IPA guy, I'd use no less than a couple ounces.
Cheers

Traditionally,English bitters don't have much hop flavor at all,& no dry hopping. They're brown,malty ales. But EKG is def a good choice...just don't get too crazy with it.

Traditionally,English bitters don't have much hop flavor at all,& no dry hopping. They're brown,malty ales. But EKG is def a good choice...just don't get too crazy with it.

English bitters are often dry hopped in the cask, albeit at a lower rate than Americans tend to use.

Murray said:
I have made a batch of english bitter, and the target stats are :

OG 1.047
FG 1.011
bitterness : IBU 30ish

I want to dry-hop to give a fruity, zesty kick to it. Not to give it anything like a heavily bittered IPA though. How much hops (I was thinking East Kent Goldings, in leaf form) do I add for a 7.5gal batch?

An ounce of EKG or fuggles and you are good to go

Never had a dry hopped EB. but I haven't had a cask ale either. Dry hopping is mor an American thing. Especially C hops.

unionrdr said:
Never had a dry hopped EB. but I haven't had a cask ale either. Dry hopping is mor an American thing. Especially C hops.

Heard a podcast that English cask ales are traditionally dry hopped with a handfull of fuggles. It was on one of Jamils podcasts and it came from a guy from England. Forgot his name though.

Latest posts

Back