Dry hopping point diminishing results.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ster

Reaction score
I use pellets.

When you dry hop, is there a point where you did too much? I usually do 1 to 3 oz. What if I did 5? 10? Would there be a point where adding more does nothing? Or will adding more alway have an affect and possibly become obnoxiusly hopped?

I recently did an experiment where I dry hopped with 11oz, 5oz, and 3 oz (the equivalent for a 5 gallon batch). I did this with only 1 gallon batches so I didn't waste too many hops.
I was disappointed with the hop smell on the 11oz batch. It lacked tropical fruitiness (which is what I was going for with citra, Amarillo and mosaic) and didn't have different "layers" ok the aroma.
I was very happy with the batch I did 5oz with as it had layers of different tropical fruits and really had a strong aroma.
The 3oz batch still had a great aroma, but it wasn't as strong as the 5oz batch.
I dry hopped in different stages, making sure fermentation was complete so the oxygen didn't take the aroma away with it. I did a 6 day and 3 day dry hops with 2.5oz each time.

Hope this helps!

Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back