Dry Hopping in Secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewsmith

Home brewing moogerfooger
Reaction score
I'm planning on brewing tonight, so I've got about a week till this is necessary. I'm doing an IPA and want dry hop in the secondary. Should I just dump the hops in the carboy or should I use a nylon bag? I know whole hops would be better, but how much mess are the pellets this way?

...Should I just dump the hops in the carboy

I do. I used to use pellets and now use whole flowers. Either work fine; in fact, the pellets normally break up and settle to the bottom, just like trub. I know some people put them in a nylon bag, but to me, that's too much trouble and for what?! :rolleyes:

I just drop the pellets in. Did a clone of grants imperial stout bottled last week put agrain bag on bottom of my siphon tube to keep as much of the hops out of going into my bottles. worked great.

I just dumped mine in... :shrug:

IMG_0454%20%28Medium%29.JPG

Just dump em in (pellets, whole whatever). When you rack to whatever it'll be just fine. Pellets as mentioned above just settle to the bottom eventually.

Thanks guys. I'll just dump them in. I didn't really want to try to fit the hop bag in the carboy, or even worse try to get it out. As of writing this, the brew is in the primary. :) Thanks to Sam75 for the recipe. I'll post again in a week or so when I transfer to the secondary and dry hop. Smells good already.

Eskram said:
Close..

FOWML

FOWML=Furry One Who Must Listen.

Edit: Added the correct picture.
Dear god, that almost made be jump back, and then nearly cover my monitor in coffee :D

Those hops look awesome ... mmmmm ... hops

I just dump them in. However, with whole leaf hops, I occasionally have problems with my siphon getting stuck no matter how hard I try to job the siphon through the leaves without collecting any. Other times it's fine. Also, depending on the quantity, it seems like some of the leaves never make good contact with the beer.

I think next time I dry hop I'm going to do it in a bucket fermenter and put the leaves in a hop bag with some sort of weighting (perhaps sanitized stainless balls) to keep them submerged and easy to filter.

I agree that with pellets just throw them in and let them do their thing. I remember reading an article at some point that advocated using proportionally more pelletized hops than leaf, but I don't remember the proportion or where I saw the article, so... :confused:

Sorry.. I have read about dry hopping, but what's the purpose? Are there some beers that will be more beneficial to having a dry hop?

Cheers,
J

dry hopping leaves a strong aroma of hops. This is good for things like India Pale Ales and other high-hopped beers.

Back