Dry Hopping in a keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mblanks2

Reaction score
If dry hopping in a secondary is only recommended for 5 - 7 days, how long can hops be left in a keg? Maybe suspended with a large tea ball.

If dry hopping in a secondary is only recommended for 5 - 7 days, how long can hops be left in a keg? Maybe suspended with a large tea ball.

I've found that once I have a keg chilled and carbed and on tap I can drop in a muslin bag with a couple of ounces of aromatic hops and leave them there until the keg kicks. That could be a couple of weeks or a couple of months, yet I've never detected any off notes from the prolonged contact. If you tried that at fermentation temperatures, you'd be lucky to get past a full week before the vegetal character starts to appear.

I stick something stainless and hefty in the bag with the hops to sink it. Usually the gravy ladle. Only had a problem once, when it was sunk in a fresh keg the day before Thanksgiving ;)

If the beer is already carbed you do have to be somewhat cautious when doing this, as you're introducing a metric crap load of nucleation sites to the beer. On a keg filled to the gas dip tube, I'll drink a few pints to provide a bit of extra head room...

Cheers!

I've found that once I have a keg chilled and carbed and on tap I can drop in a muslin bag with a couple of ounces of aromatic hops and leave them there until the keg kicks. That could be a couple of weeks or a couple of months, yet I've never detected any off notes from the prolonged contact. If you tried that at fermentation temperatures, you'd be lucky to get past a full week before the vegetal character starts to appear.

Thanks, that is what I was looking for. Should I use pellet or leaf hops and would the weight of a stainless tea ball hold it to the bottom?

I always use whole cones in muslin bags when dry hopping a keg. I've never used a tea ball so I don't know if that would sink or not...

Cheers!

Back