Dry Hopping in a Conical

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

permo

Reaction score
Hi folks, I use a 18 gallon conical fermenter for 15 gallon batches and I love it. Everything is great except I am having issues with dry hopping. I have tried putting the hops in sacks, and also just tossing them in.

In the sacks I feel like they are too confined and not contacting the beer eneough

Just tossing them in it seems like they float on the top for a day or two and then fall into the bottom of the cone - once again contact time issues

Has anybody experienced dry hopping issues in a conical and came up with a workable solution?

I suppose more hops would work

You can agitate them by pushing c02 through the dump valve. Do this daily. No beer will spill out do to pressure and the tiny crack you open in the valve

I do 15g batches in a 20g conical. I just dump the pellet hops directly into the fermenter. I "shake" it up daily by rocking it back and forth on two of the three legs. Much better than putting it in sacks imo.

I boil a piece of string and tie it to the hop bag. Put the bag 1/2 down the conical and tie it to the conical outside handle. This way the bag does not plug the cone.

I've been using a couple of these but I'm not getting the flavors that I want.... I like the idea of agitating with C02. Through the racking valve would be fine too.

Back