Dry Hopping Ice Cream Sandwiches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aphid_rancher

Reaction score
I harvested 2 pounds of hops this fall and after drying them I packed them in plastic freezer bags and put them in the freezer. A short while later a box of ice cream sandwiches went into the same freezer. After a week or two we pulled out the ice cream sandwiches and they had taken on the smell and flavor of hops. It was kind of strange but in a strangely awesome way. The last two ice cream sandwiches are back in the freezer carefully sandwiched between two bags of hops.

It shows that I should invest in oxygen barrier bags and a food sealer for next year's crop but even so I will likely dry hop more ice cream bars.

Sounds awesome, I could go for a hopped ice cream sandwich right now :mug:

That reminds me of something I had a bit ago. Marshmallow fluff was invented in Union Square in Cambridge MA and every year they have Fluff Fest where they shut down the square to traffic and celebrate fluff with all these contests and vendors. A local brewery (awesome and crazy brewery), Pretty Things, was serving their beers with a dollop of either Amarillo hopped fluff or malted fluff. It foamed like CRAZY with a small dollop. It was actually way better than it sounds, it was kinda like dry hopping combined with the craziest nitro tap effect you've ever seen.

Sounds awesome, I could go for a hopped ice cream sandwich right now :mug:

That reminds me of something I had a bit ago. Marshmallow fluff was invented in Union Square in Cambridge MA and every year they have Fluff Fest where they shut down the square to traffic and celebrate fluff with all these contests and vendors. A local brewery (awesome and crazy brewery), Pretty Things, was serving their beers with a dollop of either Amarillo hopped fluff or malted fluff. It foamed like CRAZY with a small dollop. It was actually way better than it sounds, it was kinda like dry hopping combined with the craziest nitro tap effect you've ever seen.

Now I have to try this.

I packed a bag of hops to bring to a friend, and accidentally dry hopped my workout clothes, that made me think, someone should develop a cologne/perfume, it would attract the hopheads like flies to ****.

? Fluff Fest ? My first reaction would be that it sounds like something completely different than what you describe, perhaps an event they may hold at Provincetown, rather than Boston... :fro:
But anyway, how did they "hop" and/or "malt" the fluff? I agree w/ bwomp313, it sounds like something I'd really like to try!

This is way better than when I dry dill'ed my beer fridge before making pickles. Now I go in there and want a deli sandwich, not a beer.

? Fluff Fest ? My first reaction would be that it sounds like something completely different than what you describe, perhaps an event they may hold at Provincetown, rather than Boston... :fro:
But anyway, how did they "hop" and/or "malt" the fluff? I agree w/ bwomp313, it sounds like something I'd really like to try!

I'm not sure, I emailed them to ask and never got a response. I assume they made a hop tea and mixed it into the fluff, and for the malted I bet they made a concentrated wort with extract and mixed that in too.

Back