Dry Hopping: How Much Hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ultravista

Reaction score
A recently brewed Stone Double Bastard is missing some of the Chinook goodness that comes in the bottle.

The 5.5 gallon batch has 5.5 oz. of Chinook (12.7 AA) - 3.5 oz. at 90 minutes, 1.75 at 15, and .5 at flameout (about 180F). It is plenty hoppy but that distinctive Chinook aroma and flavor is absent. OG and FG is 1.104 and 1.024.

With that said, I am considering dry hopping.

How much of the 12.7 AA Chinook will I need to get noticeable flavor and aroma out of the keg?

A recently brewed Stone Double Bastard is missing some of the Chinook goodness that comes in the bottle.

The 5.5 gallon batch has 5.5 oz. of Chinook (12.7 AA) - 3.5 oz. at 90 minutes, 1.75 at 15, and .5 at flameout (about 180F). It is plenty hoppy but that distinctive Chinook aroma and flavor is absent. OG and FG is 1.104 and 1.024.

With that said, I am considering dry hopping.

How much of the 12.7 AA Chinook will I need to get noticeable flavor and aroma out of the keg?

If you want hops aroma and flavor, I'd definitely have used more hops at flame out. A lot more!

For dryhopping, you could try 2-3 ounces of chinook. (The AAUs don't matter).

Yooper - it is still conditioning in the carboy therefore not carbonated. Will the CO2 bring out some of the aromatics after it has been under pressure? Flat vs. carbonated beer tasted different ...

Back