Dry-hopping: How long is too long, OR, how late is too late?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drummermattie02

Reaction score
I'm making a DIPA (OG - 1.085, FG - 1.016) that has now been conditioning in the secondary for 1 week. I had hoped to dry hop at about this time, let it go for 5-6 days to avoid getting too much of a grassy aroma, and then bottle. Of course I neglected to look at my holiday schedule - I leave town on Wednesday (1.5-week mark of conditioning) and don't get back until Jan. 3 (what I'll call the 3-week mark).

Should I toss the hops in on Wed. and let the beer dry hop for 1.5 weeks (maybe too long)?

OR

Should I wait until I get back (maybe too late), toss them in for 5-6 days as originally planned and get to bottling?

It wouldn't be too long, but I recommend waiting until you get back as something else might delay the bottling.

typically you dry hop after fermentation is over or almost over. 1.5 - 2 weeks is most likely ok. i would think that after some point the hops wont do anything anymore.

It's never too late to dry hop (well, I guess once you've bottled it's a bit too late :D).

I like the 5-8 day dry hop time frame. Seems I get a cleaner hop aroma than if I let it sit for several weeks.

I used to do dry hop for two weeks, but recently started dividing up the dry hop additions into smaller 3 day increments. For example, if i planned to dry hop 2 oz, i would do it in four 1/2 oz increments, replacing the hops every 3 days. It resulted in a much fresher and cleaner hop flavor/aroma.

I let primary fermentation slow down (1 week), rack to secondary and dry hop. I only leave it that way for 6-7 days and then force carb and drink right away. Otherwise the aroma fades to quickly. My Pliny the Elder clone turned out with fantastic nose and great balance.

I have an extra pale ale in primary that was run through the hopback. After a week (tomorrow) I will rack it to 2ndary and dry hop for about 6 days and then force carb and drink. The tastes from checking FG taste great. Can't wait till after dry hopping!

I dry-hop when bubbles are 15 or so seconds apart (after 5-7 days) then dry-hop for 5-10 days. Just sayin'

I used to do dry hop for two weeks, but recently started dividing up the dry hop additions into smaller 3 day increments. For example, if i planned to dry hop 2 oz, i would do it in four 1/2 oz increments, replacing the hops every 3 days. It resulted in a much fresher and cleaner hop flavor/aroma.

When you say "replace," do you actually remove the old hops and throw in the next set? Do you use a bag for the hops (I can't think of any other way except siphoning to a new fermenter). If you use a bag, it seems like you'd need to use a bucket rather than a carboy.

Back