Dry Hopping During Primary Fermentation - OOPS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rolomo

Reaction score
Question (help please):
Can 3 oz of Hops (Columbus - 16.3; Centennial - 9.5; Simcoe - 12.7) kill or hurt the fermentation if added during the primary right after pitching?

Background:
I brewed my third all-grain recipe and my first double IPA (Pliney the Elder Clone from Zymurgy). I was really excited because everything we perfectly and all numbers on Beersmith hit their targets.

So, with the wort in the primary and stored away. and while I'm cleaning up, my ADHD brain said "wait, what about the dry hops?" And before the rest of my brain could say stop, I went and opened the primary and dropped 3 packets of hops into the primary.

Am I in trouble with the fermentation?
I know I'm going to deal with some off-tastes.

Thanks for any help?

No, you won't hurt a thing. The only thing that might happen is the CO2 coming out of the fermentation may blow off some of the nice aromatics from the dry hopping. That means that the only thing you've hurt is your wallet- because you won't have the flavor and aroma of 3 ounces of dry hops. You can always add more hops after fermentation has finished and the beer has cleared if you want more hops aroma.

So, no worries!

No, you won't hurt a thing. The only thing that might happen is the CO2 coming out of the fermentation may blow off some of the nice aromatics from the dry hopping. That means that the only thing you've hurt is your wallet- because you won't have the flavor and aroma of 3 ounces of dry hops. You can always add more hops after fermentation has finished and the beer has cleared if you want more hops aroma.

So, no worries!

What Yooper said! ALWAYS LISTEN TO YOOPER! :D

Cheers
Jay

What Jaybird said about Yooper is the best advice you get around here!!

The first IPA I ever made I did the same thing not knowing any better.

It was a little under hopped for my liking but aside from that, a damn fine beer.

Well as damn fine as I am capable of anyways, but that's a whole different thread.

Agreed, Yooper is always right.

In addition to what she said about the CO2 scrubbing the aroma out of the beer, the terpenes (aroma compounds in the hops) will also be metabolized by the yeast's cell walls. This means your final beer will likely have less aroma and also likely less of the flavor contributions that the aroma creates, then planned. If this is the case, just add some more dry hops once the primary is complete.

These are the two major problems of dry hopping in the primary if the yeast is still present.

Thanks everyone and Yooper. My wallet does feel a little lighter.

Back