Dry hopping: Dump in pellets or hang above?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frothiehops

Reaction score
I just dry hopped my 7th batch. The guy at the store said it was ok to just throw the hop pellets into the secondary. I put 1/2 oz. Mt. Hood (5.2%) and 1 oz. Columbus (14.5%). Bottled 4 days later after filtering out the sediment.

The hop flavor was overwhelming at first taste, but a week later it tastes very good. From what I have read, though, this is not the way most ppl dry hop. Is that method wrong?

I assuming what your experiencing is due to the fact that aroma is the first to mellow out, while the bitterness will stay. But I would not expect that change to happen so quickly. I have heard of this happening in things which will condition for a long time, such as barley wines.

No, they disintegrate into sludge anyway. I put .5 ounce of simcoe and 1 ounce of amarillo in my carboy yesterday, and racked my beer onto them. (All pellet hops because that's all I can get anyway!) It looks like a disgusting mass of sludge and beer. I'll rack next week into a keg.

Back