Dry hopping and gelatin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RUNDMC

Reaction score
I have an IPA in the secondary and was wondering when I should drop in the gelatin to clear it up. Will it affect the dry hopping at all?

Hm, not entirely sure about using gelatin. I generally use irish moss, and throw it in the last 10-15 minutes of the boil, that seems to do the trick for clarity (and less random animal-bits in it). You should try that next time, it seems way easier.

from my experience, yes, it will strip some of aroma if you use too much gelatine after dry hopping. Recently I started using gelatin first and then dryhop in keg for best results. You can do same in bucket/carboy

from my experience, yes, it will strip some of aroma if you use too much gelatine after dry hopping. Recently I started using gelatin first and then dryhop in keg for best results. You can do same in bucket/carboy

+1 Gelatin first, then dry hop. Both done in the keg.

Gelatin WILL strip hop aroma/flavor. If you must use it, 1/2 teaspoon only. Or be content with a cloudy beer that's to style and has full hop aroma/flavor.

_

Hate to bump an old thread but I don't want to start a new one on the same thing. I recently beefed up an snpa clone to a session IPA using Chinook and. Centennial dry hops. Bottled yesterday. Had a few samples and I couldn't really detect any hop aroma. I did cold crash and add gelatin just before bottling. My best IPA ever didn't use gelatin and had insane aroma. I'm wondering if it will get better once it carbs or if the gelatin really stripped all the smell? I have really hard water and get crazy chill haze but with gel I get clear beer.

m3n00b said:
Hate to bump an old thread but I don't want to start a new one on the same thing. I recently beefed up an snpa clone to a session IPA using Chinook and. Centennial dry hops. Bottled yesterday. Had a few samples and I couldn't really detect any hop aroma. I did cold crash and add gelatin just before bottling. My best IPA ever didn't use gelatin and had insane aroma. I'm wondering if it will get better once it carbs or if the gelatin really stripped all the smell? I have really hard water and get crazy chill haze but with gel I get clear beer.

From when we tried it, you will probably get a little more hope aroma for the co2 taking the hop aroma out of suspension. That being said, it won't be very dramatic of a change since most of it was stripped away.

I never use gelatin. I just use whirlfloc or irish moss in the boil, and cold crash before I dry hop in kegs. Beer is always crystal clear and I don't worry about losing aroma/flavor to gelatin.

I use whirlfloc too but that doesn't do anything for chill haze.

It does help a lot, but you also have to ensure that you cool the wort as fast as possible, plus cold-crashing will also help a ton.

I haven't had chill haze in years, and never use gelatin - only whirlfloc or irish moss, plus cold-crashing.

My try at using gelatin wasn't so good. I lost lots of hop flavor and wasn't all too impressed with the clarity. I'd rather my beers tastes great even if they aren't perfectly clear.
I likely won't be using gelatin again.

My try at using gelatin wasn't so good. I lost lots of hop flavor and wasn't all too impressed with the clarity. I'd rather my beers tastes great even if they aren't perfectly clear.
I likely won't be using gelatin again.

I think I'll stop using it on my aroma hopped beers. It did a great job on my okfast ale and saison.

Latest posts

Back