Dry hopping an Amber Red Ale...how much?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fendersrule

Reaction score
I have some hops left in the fridge. I'd like to put them to some use. I'd love a hoppy-aroma amber.

Here is the recipe of my last brew:

http://www.greatfermentations.com/red-yum-american-amber-ale-recipe/

I used Willamette and Crystal in place of what was listed since i had those left over. I love using scrap pieces. :)

It's almost been 7 days of primary fermentation (5.5 gallons) so it's about time to dry-hop.

I have

1.2 OZ of Nuggets
1.2 OZ of Willamette
1.5 OZ of unknown (I think Crystals).

What should I do?

It seems like Nugget is not apart of the Willamette/Crystal family, so I should probably not use them. However, Nugget is smallest AA at 1.9%.

It seems like Nugget is not apart of the Willamette/Crystal family, so I should probably not use them. However, Nugget is smallest AA at 1.9%.

Check your packet of Nugget hops. Mine have AA of 15% and I use them for bittering. Willamette sounds like the best choice, followed by the unknown hop. Open a packet and sniff. Is that an aroma you want in your beer? If not, close it up and save it for later. Don't leave that opened packet sit around too long as the exposure to oxygen can make them go bad.

In reading about these hops in Hop Variety Handbook by Dan Woodske. I would say that Willamette and Crystal have nothing in common.

IMO, 1.2 or 1.5 ounces is not much of a dry hop.

These are descriptions from the book:

Crystal Aroma: Very mild floral hop. Cinnamon and black pepper come through as well as a hint of nutmeg. Flavor: Tree bark, wood, grassy flavors. No citrus flavor. Floral, almost veggie like.

Nuggett Aroma: Spicy and herbal. Great to use as a dry hop as it yields some intense aromas. Flavor: Very clean strong bitterness that will not go unnoticed in any of your beers. Herbal and strong. Mine is 12.1% AA.

Willamette: Aroma: Flowers, fruit, spice, herbal. A rainbow of aromas come out with this unique aroma hop. Flavor: Very even, nothing harsh. I would say fruitier that earthy or spicy, no detectable pine.

I would think about using 2 of them. Your taste would determine which 2 would give you what you are looking for.

Use all the hops. 3.9 oz is not that much, especially when using varieties which are not known to give any potent fruity, citrussy, etc. flavours.

Nugget is a much higher Alpha hop.

Back