Dry Hop with No Bag

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maggator

Reaction score
So my muslin bag wouldn't fit in the top of my carboy when filled with my whole amarillo hops. I just poured them in. Now I've got a bunch of hops floating in the top. Do I need to worry about these hops finishing up in my bottle if I rack to a bottling bucket and then to the bottles? I thought about running through a filter but worried about aerating the beer. Am I just paranoid? Please help....

I've had batches where I didn't have a muslin bag for the boil, so I just added the pellets into the wort. I attempted to filter it when I put it into the primary, but there was still a lot of floating hop matter that carried over. It all settled out after a while at the bottom with the yeast. I'd just let it sit for a few weeks and you should be just fine.

Since they are whole hops, I think you could probably just rack without any problems.

However, I always use a 1 gallon paint strainer bag from Lowe's wrapped around the end of my autosiphon when racking. I secure it with a 8" zip tie also from Lowe's (4" is just slightly too small for a 3/8" autosiphon...8" works on both 3/8" and 1/2" autosiphons). Make sure to sanitize both before using.

Also a nice second layer of protection that I just used was the 5 gallon paint strainer bag from Home Depot. Fits over the mouth of the bottling bucket and reaches all the way down to the bottom of the bucket, so no worries about aeration. Once it is done racking, you can just pull the bag out and bottle like normal.

Also a nice second layer of protection that I just used was the 5 gallon paint strainer bag from Home Depot. Fits over the mouth of the bottling bucket and reaches all the way down to the bottom of the bucket, so no worries about aeration. Once it is done racking, you can just pull the bag out and bottle like normal.

Good idea. I do this sometimes for various reasons. Those bags are cheap- everyone should have a couple around. Some particles from hop pellets may make it though, but overall it will help.

For sanitizing, do you just spray Star San or something on the bag before using it? Or rinse it in hot water???

Mark

Back