Dry Hop with Columbus?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aprichman

Reaction score
Brewed a Black IPA with Columbus, Centennial, and Citra in the kettle. I've used Columbus in the kettle before but haven't dry hopped with it. I was wondering if anyone had any experience using Columbus as a dry hop? Here's the recipe I used:

Black IPA (2.5 gallons)

6.0 lbs Pale 2-row
0.5 lbs Caramunich III
0.4 lbs Midnight Wheat
---

60 minute mash @ 153F, 10 minute batch sparge @ 168F
---

60 minute boil

0.25 oz Columbus [FWH]

0.50 oz Columbus [20 minutes]
0.25 oz Centennial [20 minutes]

0.50 tsp Yeast Nutrient [10 minutes]
0.25 tsp Irish Moss [10 minutes]

0.50 oz Centennial [5 minutes]

0.25 oz Citra [20 minute hopstand started @ 190F]
0.25 oz Centennial [20 minute hopstand started @ 190F]

0.25 oz Citra [5 day dryhop]
0.25 oz Centennial [5 day dryhop]
0.25 oz Columbus [5 day dryhop] *not sure if I'll dryhop with Columbus*
---

O.G. 1.061
70 IBU

Up the dry hopping to at least 3oz. Columbus is good.

I'm running 2.5 gallon batches so everything is ~1/2 scale for my recipes. I've used 3 oz. per 5 gallons before, but only for my most hop forward beers.

In your experience did Columbus overpower the other dry hops?

yeah it depends what kind of aroma you want to lean to. Columbus will be more piney and dank, citra more tropical, and centennial more floral

Columbus is awesome. I use it in all stages of various ipas. You need more dryhop. For this gravity beer I'd shoot for around 1#/bbl. So that would be around 3oz.

Columbus is awesome. I use it in all stages of various ipas. You need more dryhop. For this gravity beer I'd shoot for around 1#/bbl. So that would be around 3oz.

[16oz/31gal]*2.5gal = 1.3oz

Looks like I should be targeting around 1 - 1.5oz for my dry hop?

Haha! I missed the 2.5 gallon part... whoops!

My dry hop amounts are based on my experience and reading the hops book and ipa by mitch steele. It is worth playing around and learning for your self. This is home brewing after all.

Keep the Citra low. It overpowers everything else. Columbus is cool. With Fuggles they are two of the most weedy hops when used late. Yum!

Back