Dry Hop Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheDPR

Reaction score
This isn't attempt to restart the debate of dry hopping in primary vs secondary. I just would like to hear from someone who does/has dry hop in primary who DOESN'T/HASN't cold crashed (just siphoned through a bag). Were there any clarity issues vs a dry hop in secondary without cold crashing?

I have a lack of open fermenters and an upcoming competition so just looking for info/experience.

Do you keg? Because I dry hop in primary, dont filter but I keg. The first pour is always a dumper but after that everything is crystal clear. Even with that being said, my gravity sample that I pull during kegging is usually pretty clear, which if you filter through a mesh bag means it should be pretty stinkin clear either way

Siphoning through a bag will only get rid of hop chunks, it won't remove hop oils (which can cause haze) or chill haze/proteins. It is also an oxidation risk. The amount of dry hops will make a big difference. Some haze is acceptable in styles where high levels of dry hopping is common (eg. IPA's).

I bottle, kegging starting sometime next year hopefully.

To filter I just put a paint strainer bag over my auto siphon. Done it from secondary after dry hopping, just wondered if there was a difference from primary. No oxidation yet, good chilling and whirfloc have gotten me to a level of clarity I'm comfortable with overall.

Siphoning through a bag will only get rid of hop chunks, it won't remove hop oils (which can cause haze) or chill haze/proteins. It is also an oxidation risk. The amount of dry hops will make a big difference. Some haze is acceptable in styles where high levels of dry hopping is common (eg. IPA's).

Only an ounce of dry hops, just a plain ole pale ale so trying to keep it balanced in profile.

Only an ounce of dry hops, just a plain ole pale ale so trying to keep it balanced in profile.

I think with only an ounce you should be fine. Have you already brewed? You could always add some clarity ferm when pitching yeast

This isn't attempt to restart the debate of dry hopping in primary vs secondary. I just would like to hear from someone who does/has dry hop in primary who DOESN'T/HASN't cold crashed (just siphoned through a bag). Were there any clarity issues vs a dry hop in secondary without cold crashing?

I have a lack of open fermenters and an upcoming competition so just looking for info/experience.

My very first beer, I dry-hopped & didn't cold-crash. The hops were in a muslin sack, however. The beer came out very clear.

I've dry hopped without cold crashing, just never done it in primary.

Yeah, I never secondary. It helps that I brew 2.5 gallon batches - my FV fits in the fridge without anything more than removing one rack.

:D

You shouldn't have any problems. I've only noticed issues with big IPA's with 4 ounces or more of dry hops (the oils cause haziness - cold crashing doesn't clear it).

You shouldn't have any problems. I've only noticed issues with big IPA's with 4 ounces or more of dry hops (the oils cause haziness - cold crashing doesn't clear it).

Makes sense. Well, just tossed the pellets into primary so we'll see how it goes!

Thanks for the info and opinions folks!

Latest posts

Back