Dry hop overkill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

briguy13

Reaction score
This was my first time dry hoping.
It was the final step in my beersmith recipe for a blonde.
Well, it tastes like an IPA now.
Hops where added directly into the secondary, & left for 2 weeks.
I did 2 weeks instead of 1 week because it seamed to kick up the ferm & I waited until it stopped.
Its drinkable, not bad actually, but outta supposed to be a lite tasting easy drinking blonde, not an IPA.
What went wrong?

How much hops and in what size batch? Blonde Ales tend to have very light body and a large dry hop will possibly over power the flavor. I've never dry hopped a blonde for the fact that it should be low in IBUs and perceived bitterness.

First, you've done a good thing. In your own words, "Not bad actually." Enjoy your happy accident.

Second, it will mellow with time. (Unless you decide you like it so much, you can't wait to drink it.)

Hahaha...next time I won't dry hop.
5 gallon batch, 3 oz. of hops added at different times during boil,
&1 oz. hops for dry hopping.

1 week vs. 2 weeks doesn't make much difference in dry hopping. Yes you will get a little more out of the hops ........... some will argue that you also start to get some grassy flavors, but I have never noticed that.

Blonds don't usually get dry-hopped. If you like it, then that is great. If it is too much, store it for a while, the dry hop will fade with time.

Back