Dry hop in a keg ? Or too late?..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve50

Reaction score
I was supposed to dry hop in my secondary before transfer to keg, but I kegged the beer last week and now remembered I was missing a dry hop. I kegged and sealed the keg with CO2. Can I open the keg add the additional hops and seal it then carb it next week? Or did I miss the boat?
Thanks Steve

Lots of people dry hop in the keg. You'll be fine. I think general consensus is put them in a bag or something that can get dropped in the keg. This will keep you from clogging your line out of the keg. Open it up, drop the bag in, hook up gas and purge and let it carb. You'll be fine

What @Rob2010SS said.^

Use a roomy, fine mesh bag, hops expand tremendously, and they need to be able to swim. Weigh it down with a stainless fitting or some glass marbles. You could suspend it with a piece of unflavored dental floss or so, if you want to retrieve it later on, but it will be fine on the bottom too. I leave it in until the keg kicks. Agitate a few times each day to refresh the beer inside. After it all settles, you may get some fine dust in your first few pours.

I flush the filled hop bag with CO2, and stream CO2 in while removing the lid (with the PRV open) and dropping the bag in against the CO2 stream. That way not much or no air will get inside. After replacing lid, purge a few times for good measure.
If the keg is already carbonated, work quickly, it may start to foam up when dropping the hops in. In that case, it helps to have an extra set of hands available.

You can carb while dry hopping.

It would be much better to have the hops in the keg first, then purge with co2, then transfer beer into it. I would do that, if you have a second keg.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back