Dry Hop, Carb, and Chill in a Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpcoote

Reaction score
I have one week to get an IPA dry hopped and carbed in a keg and ready for a beer festival. I've read that dry hopping is best done at room temp, so I'm planning on dry hopping and carbing at room temp, then a day or two before the festival transfering to the keezer and adjusting the pressure to account for the temperature change. Will this work, or will it throw off my carbonation?

I dry hop in a keg in the fridge while it carbs up and it works great. Sure, dry hopping may be more efficient and come through more at room temps than cooler, however, it still is effective at cold temps. I'd rather have a properly carbonated beer with a lighter dry hop than a better aromatic beer where the carbonation is off, but that's just my two cents.

I have one week to get an IPA dry hopped and carbed in a keg and ready for a beer festival. I've read that dry hopping is best done at room temp, so I'm planning on dry hopping and carbing at room temp, then a day or two before the festival transfering to the keezer and adjusting the pressure to account for the temperature change. Will this work, or will it throw off my carbonation?

I'd put the hops in a hop bag/paint strainer, tie it closed with non-flavored/waxed dental floss, drop it in the keg and close the lid on the floss. Then throw it in the fridge overnight. After 24 hours it will be cold. Set the carbonation to 30 psi and it will be carbonated in two days. After two days, set it back to 12psi and either leave it alone (that's what I do) to continue dry hopping or warm it up for a day or two, if you think it will help, then crash it in the fridge the night before. It will be carbonated and will have nice hop aroma/flavor.

Why not the best of both worlds and split the dry hop? Dry hop now in your fermenter and after 4-5 days, transfer to the keg and do a second dry hop. Force carb/chill and your all set.

Back