Dropping Temp In Early Fementation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerd

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Through a misstep, I ended up pitching US05 into 73 degree wort and didn't chill it down as I'd meant to before active fermentation started. It's about 10 hours since pitch and it is already actively fermenting. I know this it at or little above the higher end of the range for US05. Is it best to cool it down to 68 or so 'quickly' over the next 24 hours or will that stress the yeast more than leaving it around 73? This is for a wheat beer. Thanks!

IMHO, chill it quickly. I'd be trying for 2 hours, not 24. By 24 you will have lots of esters produced and it will be hard to keep the yeast from a "runaway" condition.

Thank you. Got it down to about 70 within a couple hours. Wasn't sure if a quick temperature drop might stress the yeast more. Guess ill take it down to 68 or so then back up to 70 for a nice long cleanup period.

Back