Dropped unsanitized magnet in finished starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sparger

Reaction score
Got a nice 800 WLP starter finished. Went to slide out my stirbar with a unsanitized rare earth magnet. Pulled it up the side of the flask and at the top both came together and I dropped both into the starter. Fished them both out within 20 seconds (had a second rare earth magnet standing by). Poured off 0.8 L for my next starter in a mason jar and am chilling both down to 32F. Will pitch the slurry from the flask this weekend in a lager. I’m tempted to use both, and perhaps go with a new vial after the 4th or 5th generation of this starter. Should I be worried about contamination? I can hear Papazian’s “relax have a homebrew mantra” in the background.

I wouldn't sweat it - but that's me.

But on a lager... Not so sure - the yeast will be on the beer for a while.
My lager ferments take about 10-12 days, then cold crash. Off yeast and in keg in 15 days.

I guess it depends how adverse you are to risk.. That's starter represents billions and billions of cells that will likely out grow anything that was on that magnet.

I guess it depends how adverse you are to risk.. That's starter represents billions and billions of cells that will likely out grow anything that was on that magnet.
This is what I has thinking/hoping too. I'll use the starter and ditch the 0.8L - for the contamination potential later and the fact that many seem to prefer WLP 830 over the WLP 800 as a general "house" lager strain. I'm trying to just keep two house strains, 830 for German lagers and 802 for Czech Pilsners.

Back