Conan yeast starter, Defoamer 501 and plastic smell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

youngdh

Reaction score
Should I dump this starter and start over? Read on for the back story.

I've got a 1.8L 1st gen Yeast Bay VT Ale yeast starter in a 2L flask that's 15 hours on the stir plate. My previous starter from my 1st gen harvest of this same yeast had a very strong, but, pleasant fresh baked bread smell just like the original starter from the Yeast Bay vial. This starter, while I pick up hints of baked bread, has a strong plastic or latex smell. I tasted the starter and it doesn't taste like plastic or medicinal. The only difference with this starter is I put in "half" a drop (if that's even possible) from my squeeze bottle of 5 Star Defoamer 501 into the starter's wort boil to control boil over and krausen blow out which it did prevent. I also used 1/16 tsp of Wyeast yeast nutrient in the boil where previous starters I've used Diammonium Phosphate (LD Carlson Yeast Nutrient).

I had my wife smell it and she said it smells like bread to her and she didn't detect a plastic smell. She's not a beer aficionado nor had she smelled the previous starters for comparison.

I pitched 2 decanted half pint mason jars of slurry (approx. 10-15ml each). Both smelled fine with no signs of infection. One of my mason jars of yeast, which I dumped and pulled a 3rd jar out of the 'fridge, did have a gray ring around the outer threaded ring on jar and a gray "speck" under the lid. I immediately poured that one down the drain and pulled the third jar.

See attached photos of current starter sans krausen and the previous starter of same generation yeast slurry with krausen blowout both at about the 18 hour mark. The difference in color is due to different DME. First photo is with Sparkling Amber DME and the second was with Golden Light DME.

I've already boiled up another starter (also used defoamer in) and waiting to cool in the event the consensus from this forum is "dump the starter and start over", thus, the mason jar of slurry (and my last one to boot) in first photo coming up to room temp.

2015-03-19 08.57.19.jpg

2015-02-12 19.04.16.jpg

I tasted the starter again after 19 hours on stir plate and it taste fine with a hint of peaches like Conan is known for producing. No plastic or latex taste but still has that smell. I'm going to proceed with this starter and pitch as planned when I brew tomorrow. Now is probably a good time to cold crash so I can decant most of the liquid off when I pitch tomorrow evening.

I tasted the starter again after 19 hours on stir plate and it taste fine with a hint of peaches like Conan is known for producing. No plastic or latex taste but still has that smell. I'm going to proceed with this starter and pitch as planned when I brew tomorrow. Now is probably a good time to cold crash so I can decant most of the liquid off when I pitch tomorrow evening.

Nick from The Yeast Bay here. Seems as though the defoamer contains triethanolamine. Wonder if that is where the smell is coming from. Also, is that defoamer commonly used in brewing applications? I've never heard of it.

Cheers!

Wouldn't expect triethanolamine to smell plastic like. Maybe fishy. Bet it is such a low concentration you cant smell it. No one wants to ingest that so it'll be low conc.

Could it be your using a rubber stopper. Those stink.

Nick from The Yeast Bay here. Seems as though the defoamer contains triethanolamine. Wonder if that is where the smell is coming from. Also, is that defoamer commonly used in brewing applications? I've never heard of it.

Cheers!

Northernbrewer.com sells it as does my LHBS as a brewing defoamer. Five Star Chemical makes several products for the brewing industry as well.

Wouldn't expect triethanolamine to smell plastic like. Maybe fishy. Bet it is such a low concentration you cant smell it. No one wants to ingest that so it'll be low conc.

Could it be your using a rubber stopper. Those stink.

No rubber stopper, just sanitized foil laid loosely over top.

The smell might be coincidental with using a darker/different DME for the starter from my previous Conan starters. Since it tasted fine with no astringent or sour after taste or oily film on top I'm forging ahead with this starter. After about 20 hours in the fridge I've got a good amount of yeast settling out (more than the slurry I pitched) but can clearly see the stratification line between clear wort and cloudy wort near the top. I forgot how slow Conan is to settle out. I may need to defer decanting and pitching for another 24 hours so I don't decant off most of the healthy yeast which are the last ones to settle out. I'm still brewing today so may cover my kettle post boil and let cool slowly overnight :)

No rubber stopper, just sanitized foil laid loosely over top.

The smell might be coincidental with using a darker/different DME for the starter from my previous Conan starters. Since it tasted fine with no astringent or sour after taste or oily film on top I'm forging ahead with this starter. After about 20 hours in the fridge I've got a good amount of yeast settling out (more than the slurry I pitched) but can clearly see the stratification line between clear wort and cloudy wort near the top. I forgot how slow Conan is to settle out. I may need to defer decanting and pitching for another 24 hours so I don't decant off most of the healthy yeast which are the last ones to settle out. I'm still brewing today so may cover my kettle post boil and let cool slowly overnight :)

As a follow up to this post my batch of beer turned out not only fine but GREAT using Conan in place of my normal Chico yeast with this DIPA. The plastic smell of the starter might have very well been the affects of the defoamer.

Good news...and thanks for following up. It's always good to get results of potential issues, whether good or bad!

Back