Drinking Wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I know a lot of people drink their hydrometer sample, but does anyone sit down and drink a glass of wort. Or even skip pitching the yeast and keep the wort to drink and not bother to ferment at all?

BasementGrowler said:
I know a lot of people drink their hydrometer sample, but does anyone sit down and drink a glass of wort. Or even skip pitching the yeast and keep the wort to drink and not bother to ferment at all?

Yes. I drink my piss too.

I don't, But I have a buddy who brews with me sometimes who loves it. He would drink a full glass if I would let him. On a side note I think there is a beverage in another country that is basically wort. I can't think of what it's called now though.

that would like sitting down and eating a bowl of cake batter!!! at least cake batter taste good lol..

Unless you pasteurize it in the final package, it's all but impossible to keep wort around for more than a few days. Something is alive in there, and will start to ferment given enough time.

I actually had a pop from peru that was basically wort. It suprised me when I tasted it but the family that gave it to me loved it.

After inviting all of those yeast to my brewery, getting them dizzy in the flask the least I can do is let them party in some wort. I save every drop of wort I can for the yeast's enjoyment.

I don't, But I have a buddy who brews with me sometimes who loves it. He would drink a full glass if I would let him. On a side note I think there is a beverage in another country that is basically wort. I can't think of what it's called now though.

Malta Goya? Found at any international isle (Spanish section) in the supermarket. I have drunk this is the past...it is not bad but one is my limit...very sweet and malty.

I actually use it for my starters (one little 7oz bottle - they come in an eight pack) and don't bother making a wort...sanitize the ouside of the bottle, flask, and stir bar...pour in, dump yeast, spin...never had a problem.

Regarding drinking wort, yes but only my oversized hydrometer samples (1/2 pint). :D

Mix some scotch with unhopped wort for a Hot Scotchy. I have thought about making a small amount of wort just for this drink.

that would like sitting down and eating a bowl of cake batter!!! at least cake batter taste good lol..

I don't know what you brew, but my wort tastes great. I sample it but don't drink pints of it.

It might be ok for a bit if refrigerated, but will sour if not.

I can't stand more than a taste... I think it bears little resemblance to the final product regardless of style; just sweet with a harsh bitter bite. Mixing it with scotch though sounds kinda interesting, might mellow it out.

Malta Goya? Found at any international isle (Spanish section) in the supermarket. I have drunk this is the past...it is not bad but one is my limit...very sweet and malty.

I actually use it for my starters (one little 7oz bottle - they come in an eight pack) and don't bother making a wort...sanitize the ouside of the bottle, flask, and stir bar...pour in, dump yeast, spin...never had a problem.

Regarding drinking wort, yes but only my oversized hydrometer samples (1/2 pint). :D
That's a great idea. Haven't had malta in years.

Wouldn't that be crazy expensive? Last I checked I think they were like $1/bottle, and you'd need five to make even a 1 L starter.

Wouldn't that be crazy expensive? Last I checked I think they were like $1/bottle, and you'd need five to make even a 1 L starter.

To each his own...

$4.99 for ten 7oz bottles...$0.50 a bottle...I only use one bottle (or two) to work up a starter just to get the yeast going prior to pitching in a 5G batch...defintely don't need 1L...

...and not worth my time boiling up a wort starter, worrying about sanitation, storing in the fridge, etc. Just as easy for me to pull a Malta out of the pantry and have at it...my fermentations always kick off quick and I've had no problems...

I used to drink the wort for "quality control purposes" on brew day. But after about twenty worts I decided it was not a useful tool. Now my brew buddy who won't drink alcohol does drink the wort. He loves it. But he doesn't eat much sugar, so I think it's like candy to him?

I drink the hydrometer samples but that's it.

If you want to get sick, let wort sit out for several days and start drinking. It's a great way to get e. coli and other gut wretching (literally) bacterial infections.

ugh... I have tried this to see if I can 'predict' the final product. Honestly, I can never get through the sip of the hydro sample...

I usually save a 8 or so ounces and check my gravity reading the next morning again.

Then I drink it with breakfast lol this way I get to have a beer for breakfast. Well sort of.

Yes, I've reserved some unfermented wort to be able to sour. I was actually surprised how quickly it began to ferment with wild yeast and bacteria. I left it out for a week: in which time I saw it both ferment and form quite a big lactobacillus pellicle. So it's great for making soured stouts.

why waste potential beer? unless you like wort then have at...lol.

In Norway you can buy "vørterøl" - vørter = wort, øl=beer - but it's unfermented, so it's basically just wort. It's said to be very healthy. I personally don't like it much, too sweet and malty.

I taste every ingredient that goes into my brew and at every stage, except for maybe the hops. It helps me identify flavors in the final product. That said.. I always drink the wort from the hydrometer tube but I'd not drink a pint of the stuff, as tasty as it may be.

i think it tastes (and smells) great. of course i don't drink it because i want it to be beer. but hydro samples are fair game. malty deliciousness. i never drink more than a little. to much might be too sweet. but the little bit i do drink is always good.

I drink a little of the hydro sample just to get a feel for how it might turn out, but to me it just seems like drinking a boatload of sugar without the advantages of beer (great taste and alcohol). If I am going to add to my beer gut, I like to make it worth my while :)

My favorite Hot Scotchy so far was a mild ale wort prior to hopping, mixed with an Islay single malt scotch. Malty, smoky goodness!

Maybe we're doing something wrong. but our wert is friggin amazing... Drinking it now:

SHHVh.jpg

(in case it's unclear from the picture, the bottles are from our previous batch, bottled while we brewed today's batch. the wert is boiling now, pitching the hops as we speak, and enjoying this deliciousness)

Back