Drinking my first home brew!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrooZer

Reaction score
And, in all honesty, its not what I expected. I hate to be a debbie downer.

It tastes sorta like natural light (sour tasting or bitter, not hops bitter) but only its Brown.

I used the Brewers Best English Brown Ale kit. I also did various things wrong while making it. Like, steeping grains to hot. Boiled finishing hops for about 30 min. Boiled with the lid on. And other various blunders.

I made it again (since I know I screwed it up) and its in the secondary now. I hoping it turns out a little better.

HAS ANYONE EVER MADE THIS KIT? WHAT IS IT SUPPOSED TO TASTE LIKE??

My first 2 brews were BB kits. Honestly I wasn't impressed by either. I think the ingredients were old.

I don't recommend pre packages kits because there is no way to tell how old the stuff is. Get your kits either from an online store like MoreBeer or Northern Brewer, or have your LHBS put one together for you.

I've made that BB kit two times in the past. It actually tastes remarkably similar to Newcastle. It's better after three weeks in the bottle. I had no sour or bitter notes in the beer. I'm guessing the "bitter (astringent?)" came from boiling the finishing hops too long and the grains at too high a temperature. Sour sounds like an infection.

If yours is drinkable, that's great. It'll get better from here, I promise.

Thanks for the encouragement so far.

See its hard to tell cause I wasnt sure what to expect.

It was in Plastic primary for 1 week, glass carboy for 2 weeks, and in bottles for 3.

I have to be honest, I am anal (some call it a perfectionist, but hey) so I try and make everything perfect. Soooo, I brewed another batch of the same for my second beer. It actually tasted better after 1 week in the primary (sans the carbonation) than the first batch does now.

So it seems like my stubborness may pay dividends in this hobby after all. I guess ill just let batch 1 marinate a while longer and continue to support my local beverage store.

I cant wait till I get better at this, I want to make some kick-a$$ brew.:rockin:

Yooper Chick said:
I've made that BB kit two times in the past. It actually tastes remarkably similar to Newcastle. It's better after three weeks in the bottle. I had no sour or bitter notes in the beer. I'm guessing the "bitter (astringent?)" came from boiling the finishing hops too long and the grains at too high a temperature. Sour sounds like an infection.

If yours is drinkable, that's great. It'll get better from here, I promise.

Yea I was thinking astringent, ive never sucked a tea bag before (and will not). So im not sure if it is like that.

Thats the good thing about any hobby or sport. You always gets better when you keep plugging.

Too bad I posess the patience of a 6 year old in a toy store!:D

Back