Drinking more BMC......

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrazyToad

Reaction score
I don't know if I'm alone in this, but when I'm drinking to get drunk (like tonight), I can put down more BMC than craft brews. I'm drinking Labatt Blue (better than scudweiser or miller fright, but I would still consider it a BMC type beer), but I'm on my 6th without any nasty buzz. If I put down this many craft brews, I would be feeling much more, even if it is the same alcohol content.

Anyone else have this same experience? :confused:

Yeah, when I was brewing extract brews 4 years ago, (before I stopped brewing)
I noticed that very same thing. I just attributed it to all natural ingredients, and no filtering, or processing, not sure if thats why or not.

Interesting, other people have reported the exact opposite. Maybe the higher hop content has something to do with it. I tend to start with an IPA or APA, but almost never have two.

<beerSnob>
Being from central Jersey, BMC is almost a way of life growing up. About 10 years ago, one of the older (40s?) guys that I was going to tech school with raved about Sam Adams. (It really is the only thing I remember him ever talking about). Long story short, after I started drinking Sam, I never went back to Bud. Years later I went to a Stones concert at Giants Stadium with my Father and thats all they were serving (BMC), so I'm like, ok whatever. I couldn't even choke it down.
</beerSnob>

That all being said. I am able to put away more Sam, Bass, Killians, Yeungling Black And Tans, Brooklyns, Sierras, etc, than I can of my home brew. With my lazy hydrometer taking skills I'm not sure what my batches are ringing in at, but I'd guess most if not all were over 5%. Sam Winter is the only commercial I think, that I drink that is close. So I guess it's really just the math that tells the story.

Or maybe I'm misunderstanding you, do you mean you find yourself drinking more BMC since starting homebrewing, rather than just saying it takes more BMC to get you drunk? (semantics)...

I find that Busch products actually inspire nausea with me before a buzz. No other macro brew claims that honor as of yet. It happened with Natty Ice and the same with Bud Light.

It's too bad my friends like Bud Light enough to buy it by the keg. :( Maybe I need to keg some mild pale ales to get them to convert....

During Camping season I drink Coors Light. I can drink 12 of those things in an evening/night and still be on my feet. If I was to do that with my Home Brew, I'd be out for the count after 7 or 8.

Back