Drink Beer from Primary - yum

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stonewild

Reaction score
I was thinking, bottling and keg carbonation seem to be additions to brewing process to extend the shelf life of beer. However, I don't have that issue, I have fresh beer anytime I want. Also, I love fresh beer, and I think beer tastes great right out of the primary.

Is anyone else drinking fresh great tasting home brew right out of the primary? ... yum!

Can't say I "normally" do it, but when racking to the keg once I get it to the level I want I will rack the rest to a pint glass or a few and enjoy.
I have a gallon jug sitting on the table that might find its way to the refrigerator, it was from a ten gallon batch I split with a fellow brewer, I didn't want to over fill the carboy and that's already in a keg. Don't feel like bottling it and legging a gallon in a 5 gallon keg isn't going to happen. If I had a smaller keg, maybe.
So I suppose that could count as drinking it out of the primary.
Nostrovia!

Okay, don't get on me for the wrong spelling... I know it's wrong.

Well, I don't know. I do like my beer to be carbonated, and usually find that it's best after at least 2-3 weeks in the bottle. So, while I do drink my SG samples, and always have a glass at bottling time, I think I'll stick with my aged bottled beer.
To each his own, eh? :mug:

If you like what I'd imagine the beer the dwarfs drink from Lord of the Rings tastes like go for it. I personally prefer carbonation and cold beer that has had that little bit of extra time (what, two weeks of time?) to get there and also cold crash so that the trub isn't a central flavor.

Rev.

Ill drink kvass out of the primary, and of course drink a sample glass when transferring, but besides that.... i think beer is better carbonated and aged properly.

I had a big glass out of primary today after I took a gravity reading, it was tasty but I also like a little carb/condition/and correct temp to my beer.

I drink right out of the carboy- well, into a glass! My daughter got me into the habit. House was dry and she dumped a big glass full, said it was good. That is why I find it just as easy bottling into 3 litter pet bottles.

When I make bitters or milds, they're always fantastic right out of primary. Hoppy styles usually aren't as great.

Racked a stout this evening. Filled a pint glass an the hydro flask. It is 3 weeks, and tastes great.

I too prefer beer with carbonation and a little age on it. Beer changes a lot over a few weeks and especially when its carbonated. I always drink my gravity samples but id rather wait and drink it when i feel it's ready.

I usually sample a couple ounces from the fermenter before bottling day and I always drink a small glass of my new brew on bottling day. I love beer so much that I think it tastes great even uncarbed and room temp. Yum is right.

Just bottled an American Ale. Ran out of bottles and filled 3/4 of a growler threw it in the fridge. My beer for the night!

Latest posts

Back