Drink a starter...?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigStone777

Reaction score
I read another post called Quick Mead, and i started to comment, but it got too long, so i made my own thread... didn't want to hijack his thread... yes, you're welcome...
I made a starter a few weeks ago, using the sweet rice wine yeast i found locally... I made the starter with a little bit of warm water at first and then added apple juice and honey. I let the starter sit for a long time, in a half gallon jar with an airlock (home made), then i added some apple juice and honey... at some point, but i never started another 5 gal batch like i had planned to...
The jar of starter stuff bubbled happily for a week or so, and got pretty clear very fast. Then it stopped bubbling. The other day, some white moldy looking stuff appeared on top... being that it was only half gallon, i said whatever, and thought i would just dump it... so I looked up whatever i could on this forum about finding mold on your brew. It seems you can just sweep it aside and keep going...
So i was thinking about dumping it out, but instead decided to play with it, smell it, touch it, taste it, etc. (Get yur minds out of the gutters... this is mead we're talking about)...
Well it had a good sweet smell, and only slightly of vinegar. The vinegar smell was so slight that i wasn't even sure if it was that, or maybe just the smell of carbon dioxide and such...
I filtered it through a tea filter i have, and seemed to get all the floaters and scum, and yeast goo. So i took a taste... and it was quite nice, and the color was beautiful. Something i would share with friends... So i shared it with my assistant, and he thought it was good too. I asked him if he thinks theres alcohol in it, and he said yes, definitely, but smooth and not strong flavor.
So what's happened here? Why was it drinkable so fast?
since then, I added some honey, shook it up, and put the airlock back on... just as an experiment. I have seen a few bubbles come through the airlock since then. Not many, but a few... and there was some white foam on top this morning...

ULTRA concentration of Yeast. The big breweries make beer with roughly 3% yeast by volume...yOu've just made a mead with somewhere in the neighborhood of 25% Pretty Cool how fast the yeast can over power the nasty isn't it!

Bigstone: Is this sweet rice wine yeast you used liquid or dry? Is it available online, or outside of China? Could this be the same as "sake yeast #9"? Do you have a flavour profile or any additional info on it? I don't mean to hammer you with questions, but I am curious. Regards, GF.

Its not Sake yeast, as far as i know... The locals here make a kind of fermented rice wine which is sweeter and not as 'hot' as sake. Sometimes they make it as a soup, served hot, but I think they do boil out the alcohol when its served as soup.
The yeast i got is dry, purchased in 8 gram packets, and the packets are in sets of 2. It might be available outside China. Its made by a company called Angel Yeast Co, Ltd., and they make yeast for steamed breads, and rice wine (two different yeasts, of course). Heres their website: Angel Yeast CO.,LTD it looks like you could order it from anywhere...
Actually, after looking at the website, I am requesting information on this...
EDIT: that website is a supplier that sells products from Angel and many other companies... I cant get the English version of the Angel Yeast Co website to work. You can Google it as well...
ANOTHER EDIT: looking more at this website, i might be able to find a way to get lots of brewing supplies through them... that is, if they carry anything for home brewing... it seems so far that they carry only big industrial setups (like 100-2,000 liters per day)

Bigstone: Thank you for the info, it's quite useful! I'll have to see about ordering some of that yeast to experiment with. Regards, GF. :)

Latest posts

Back