Drilling a hole in the top of a freezer lid.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randomnoob

Reaction score
I got a free three tap draft beer tower and so I was thinking I’d just drill a hole in the keezer lid and put the tower on the lid. Are there any sort of articles or YouTube videos out there showing you how to do such a project? Pretty everything I’ve seen online has been about adding a wood collar and leaving the lid as is. Any help would be appreciated.

I drilled the top of my fridge, using diagrams found online. Because your freezer lid has no lines or wires, I think you can cut anywhere. Just remember to consider where the tower will go with the lid open. Good luck, take pictures, keep us posted.

That’s how I built my first kezzer. Drilled 3 holes for the hoses and self tapping screws to mount the towers. Placement is a compromise since back gives you “bar space” and forward allows easy opening without tower hitting the wall

The collar thing is about 2 reasons. Towers cost $ and collars allow an extra keg or two over the hump. Plus easier to sell if no hole in lid

If the lid has an interior light the wire could be pretty much anywhere and it's likely to carry 120vac.
Otherwise there's unlikely to be anything (else) one could run into.

Have to say I'm surprised someone had success using sheet metal screws and no backing board under the sheet metal, but then again I'm swinging a 6 faucet ss t-tower and it hangs there parallel to the floor when I'm working inside the keezer. That'd be way more than enough leverage to distort the lid if not rip screws out...

Cheers!

Well u gotta lotta weight on one tower....I had 3 single draft towers...never had a problem. And if ya gotta lid light? Maybe unplug it firrrrrzzzzst....lol

Step one, painting. If anyone on here is a Steelers/Pirates/Penguins or Iowa Hawkeyes fan, you might like where I go with this...

I also bought a drill bit to drill the holes for the hoses but it turned out my drill wasn’t big enough, so I gotta borrow a drill from work.

Last edited:
Here we are, project mostly finished, just running line cleaner through all the lines. Then I will put in my two other kegs that have beer in them and fill the keg with line cleaner with mead. Let me know what you think.

Back