Drill Hole Heights for Kettle Conversion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cas3606

Reaction score
Good afternoon,

I have gotten my hands on some decommissioned 15.5gal kegs. My plan over the next 1.5years is to convert these into a fully electric HERMS system.

However for the time being I am trying to slowly make this setup over time and want to start making the kettle as a part of my 10gal igloo cooler setup.

With that being said I obviously will not be drilling the holes for my heating element yet or my whirlpool port for the pump. I want to install this kit (https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/k-wl-2l.htm_) but I am struggling to find information on how high up form the kettle I should drill the holes for these items to not only function as a kettle for my current setup but also to incorporate the heating coil later on in time.

Thank you all this is my first post here and I cannot wait to hear back.

I think my kegs are an inch up on one and an inch and a half on another from the bottom seam to the center of the hole.

Good afternoon,

I have gotten my hands on some decommissioned 15.5gal kegs. My plan over the next 1.5years is to convert these into a fully electric HERMS system.

However for the time being I am trying to slowly make this setup over time and want to start making the kettle as a part of my 10gal igloo cooler setup.

With that being said I obviously will not be drilling the holes for my heating element yet or my whirlpool port for the pump. I want to install this kit (https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/k-wl-2l.htm_) but I am struggling to find information on how high up form the kettle I should drill the holes for these items to not only function as a kettle for my current setup but also to incorporate the heating coil later on in time.

Thank you all this is my first post here and I cannot wait to hear back.
A key consideration is clearance for whatever tools you intend to use to tighten fittings on the inside. Don't ask me how I learned this!

Back