Dried corn for a beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justinrphillips

Reaction score
I am planning on making a take on a Mexican Lager. Instead of using flaked corn, I want to use a mix of Aztec Blue and Red corn. I have the dried corn already and I was wondering, when I brew with it should I grind it before I do a cereal mash or just do a cereal mash with the whole dried corn. This is just an experiment i want to try after I read about a take on "Malt Liquor" that Dogfish Head tried, where they really liked the quality and taste of the Aztec corn. I am going to use some 6-row (not a lot) and Vienna Malt just for the great enzyme reaction you get out of it to break the sugar down but dont want to use too much 6-row. I am trying to do a take on a cheap Mexican Lager made with higher quality ingredients.

Grind it first.

I've used Masa Harina before as an adjunct. I added it directly to the mash, thinking it was already cooked. It kind of worked but the efficiency was poor; I think it's really only partially cooked and still needs a cereal mash. I will try that next time.

Thanks for the feedback. I thought I would grind it just wanted to double check. I will still take it through a Cereal mash

I would grind it, as dried corn isn't really crushed like barley, then I would cook it well and add to the mash...cereal mash is overrated process imo developed for commercial brewing to make the grist loose and flowing, not an issue with small batch homebrewing.

I would grind it, as dried corn isn't really crushed like barley, then I would cook it well and add to the mash...cereal mash is overrated process imo developed for commercial brewing to make the grist loose and flowing, not an issue with small batch homebrewing.

By cook it do you mean actually bringing the water to a boil with the ground corn before adding to mash?

Simmer the cornmeal in water (at least a gallon per pound) until it is thick and soft and fully cooked. Adding some pale malt and holding it at about 150 degrees as you heat it will convert some of the loose starch and reduce the chance of it sticking and burning, but that's optional.

Thanks for all the input and not making me feel like I was crazy for wanting to do some corn experiments!

Back