Dried Cascade Hops Smell Like Hay

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopTonger

Reaction score
I'm sure the short answer on this one is 8 probably picked too early - but - I think the question now is if the Cascade hops I picked and dried are useable. They did have tell-tale signs of ripeness - brown tips and/or papery feel, crinkly, darker color, etc - lupulin was present but not quite visible unless you pulled the brachts up. I noticed some had a nice aroma, but it was inconsistent. I dried, packed, and froze them (very recent - within last week) and then pulled them out to use them brewing yesterday. They smelled like hay, but I ran my finger along the bottom of the bag and swiped up some of the lupulin that had fallen down - it packed quite a flavorful and bitter punch.
Are these good for flavoring hops?

Are they the color of straw? It could be you picked to early or that you dried them at too high of a temperature. The first would mean you picked them before the oils had a chance to fully form. The latter means you drove them away.

I dried them in a non-heated oast - box fan with screen-bottom crates (BYO mag DIY from spring issue), so can't be too hot.

I dried them in a non-heated oast - box fan with screen-bottom crates (BYO mag DIY from spring issue), so can't be too hot.

My cascades are similar. I still get grapefruity goodness in the pale ale I make. The aroma isn't as intense as my Chinook or Zeus, but it does come through in the beer.

Good to see people are using the oast design! I hope it worked well for you!

Very efficient design, actually! We had a heat wave here in PA when I was drying them in the garage - I got down the 20-25% of original weight in 36hrs.
Thanks for the input. I was making tea with them before I picked certain sections and they sure had the flavor and look to be picked. Good to know I wasn't totally wrong. I'm going to push my final picking a little longer just in case, though.

Back