Drank my first IPA ever this evening.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Weird. Yeah, when I think of East Coast ipa I think of Hopslam, DFH, and others that are all fairly malty. Over here we have Pliny as our model beer which is bone dry and looks like a lager in the glass. I think the west coast more or less invented the overly hoppy ipa but someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

I think that is the generally accepted view, but there is enough variation from both coasts no that it has less geographical meaning today.

Love this thread, and how it's five pages within one day! :)

I'll start by saying I currently am not an IPA fan. I've drank many, and the not so insanely hoppy one's I like but can only drink one or two then want to switch off. That said, before you posted you might have wanted to take a moment to think a few things to yourself... such as what have you disliked in the past but like now?

I used to dislike Sushi/Sashimi - now I LOVE it and can't get enough
I used to dislike heavy metal (when I was very young) - now (for like 24 years) I'm a HUGE metal head and guitarist
I used to hate spicy food, now I LOVE it
There are several movies & TV shows I used to hate with a passion that now I love tremendously

Basically, opinions and interests change ;)

Rev.

Oh man, can I pig on some sushi! The hot kind now & then too. And speaking of heavy metal;
I always liked the movie!

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe that a few people out there actually like IPA, but for the most part I have noticed that most people "like" them because they think it makes them look cool. Like people who eat HOT!!! food. What's the damn point???

I like spicy, bitter, sour and salty flavors. I don't care for sweet. This isn't an "IPA" thing, it extends to all foods. Hell, I eat the peel off an orange, and don't mind the bitterness.

So count me in the ranks of people who actually like IPA.

I myself am not a fan of IPA's. I do dig a solid Irish Red, British Bitter, or a mild brown ale. But a IPA not so much. Now I haven't had too many of them. But my tastebuds just don't like the dankness from too much hops. Im ok with the fact that I won't be able to enjoy a boozy IPA or a RIS, but I can console myself with a malty wee heavy or a barleywine.

To the OP if you don't like IPA's don't drink em. Thats the great thing about beer, there are so many different styles you can find something that you dig.

OP,

I am with ya. All I hear from these people is "keep drinking that crap, till you get numb to the crap flavor" That is the same theory behind "Butweiper" drinkers thinking that is how beer is supposed to taste.

I belonged to a beer of the month club for two years, and got probably two different IPA's every month. NEVER found one I like. And I keep an open mind and try every one I come across. NEVER found one I like. I was at a brew fest a couple of years ago, and the category was IPA. One of the breweries didn't have an IPA. When I asked him why, he said (and I quote) "No one REALLY likes IPA's".

I believe that a few people out there actually like IPA, but for the most part I have noticed that most people "like" them because they think it makes them look cool. Like people who eat HOT!!! food. What's the damn point??? I will buy a six pack of it whenever I see a new one. Drink one, hate, and give the rest to my friends that "love" IPA. A month later they all still have the IPA in their fridge, and tell me about how many different beers they have drank since then.

I raised myself on Oatmeal Stouts since I was only 17 Y.O. and, I have been Drinking Pale Ale since 20. I have seen this Craft beer craze build up, and it wasn't until people started "wanting" to like micro-brews (or "Imports" as idiots call them) that people started liking IPA. It makes them feel different, yet still belong to the secret club of "IPA li(k)ers".

My $.02

And BTW i will lick the bag that my hops come in, so Yes, I like the taste of hops.

It sounds to me like you're one of those "I was there first" people with a chip on your shoulder and something to prove.

My first IPA was horrible but it wasnt a good representation of an IPA since it was skunked pretty bad. The thing is my cousin tells me its supposed to be like that. So cause of that i really disliked IPAs for a bit. When i had one that ddint have off flavors it changed my mind immediately. IPAs are prob one of my fav styles of beer but there are bad ones and good ones out there. Just got a sixer of Devils Backbone 8 point IPA and def not a fan. Not my choice of hops in that one.

I really like the 8 point IPA, but I will admit it was what my wife calls a "two-sipper". This is typically because on the first taste I make a certain face as another poster described, but my the second taste its all good. Its not the best I think I like the combo and Im sure the fact that its a "local" beer probably skews by tastebuds. The only beer they've (DB) made that I cant get myself to enjoy is their Schwatzbeer. I've tried it four times in three years and every time it still doesn't leave me with an enjoyable taste.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

OP,

I am with ya. All I hear from these people is "keep drinking that crap, till you get numb to the crap flavor" That is the same theory behind "Butweiper" drinkers thinking that is how beer is supposed to taste.

I belonged to a beer of the month club for two years, and got probably two different IPA's every month. NEVER found one I like. And I keep an open mind and try every one I come across. NEVER found one I like. I was at a brew fest a couple of years ago, and the category was IPA. One of the breweries didn't have an IPA. When I asked him why, he said (and I quote) "No one REALLY likes IPA's".

I believe that a few people out there actually like IPA, but for the most part I have noticed that most people "like" them because they think it makes them look cool. Like people who eat HOT!!! food. What's the damn point??? I will buy a six pack of it whenever I see a new one. Drink one, hate, and give the rest to my friends that "love" IPA. A month later they all still have the IPA in their fridge, and tell me about how many different beers they have drank since then.

I raised myself on Oatmeal Stouts since I was only 17 Y.O. and, I have been Drinking Pale Ale since 20. I have seen this Craft beer craze build up, and it wasn't until people started "wanting" to like micro-brews (or "Imports" as idiots call them) that people started liking IPA. It makes them feel different, yet still belong to the secret club of "IPA li(k)ers".

My $.02

And BTW i will lick the bag that my hops come in, so Yes, I like the taste of hops.

I think he and the "What to do after you brew the best beer ever?" guy are kinfolk. He probably even got to try the best beer ever.

I have friends who said the same thing. SN Pale Ale was way to hoppy for them. They are now the two biggest IPA drinkers I know now. I really think hops are have an addictive quality to them. The more you try them, the more you want them.

These guys were hardcore BMC drinkers too. Stepping out for them was a Blue Moon.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I know it's not an IPA but this kind of applies here, the first time I tried an Arrogant Bastard Ale it was pretty rough, took awhile to get down. Now I crave that stuff, it's one of my favorites.

Belgians are my favorite beers, but I always love a good IPA and brew a number of variations of them. I first started drinking IPA's in the early/mid 90's with Bass Ale.
Some of my favorites and recommendations to the OP are:

Ballast Point Sculpin
Avery DuganA
Ska Modus Hoperandi
Santa Fe Happy Camper
Stone Ruination

Thats just a couple, off the top of my head. Sculpin is probably my top pick.
It's $$ though.

But, drink what you like. Don't force yourself to drink something that doesn't suit you.
:mug:

I still think if you dont like hoppy beers you haven't had a good one yet. I have made hoppy as hell pale ales with low bitterness and BMC drinkers will crush that stuff if its citrusy/fruity. If the beer is over bitter the beer is bad no matter the style.

Oh man, can I pig on some sushi! The hot kind now & then too. And speaking of heavy metal;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNG_Kn-m73M I always liked the movie!

Still have a copy of it on tape.

Of course, I haven't had a VHS in years....:drunk:

Heavy Metal is on Netflix. No need for VHS if you have an account.

I really like the 8 point IPA, but I will admit it was what my wife calls a "two-sipper". This is typically because on the first taste I make a certain face as another poster described, but my the second taste its all good. Its not the best I think I like the combo and Im sure the fact that its a "local" beer probably skews by tastebuds. The only beer they've (DB) made that I cant get myself to enjoy is their Schwatzbeer. I've tried it four times in three years and every time it still doesn't leave me with an enjoyable taste.

I like their Vienna Lager. Ive had really good local IPAs at some bars but i dont remmebr the brewery that made them. I'm into the citrusy or tropical flavors in a IPA. Bells 2 hearted, Sweetwater IPA, Pliny, Zombie Dust, etc.

I might have made the mistake by calling it a commercial beer. I was thinking when typing that if it is sold at a liquor store then it must be commercial.

It was a Compass IPA made by Bristol Brewing Company in Colorado Springs, Co which is just 30 minutes north of here.

I don't consider Compass hoppy at all :)

P.S. I love Ivywild (their brewery)

Jason

That one-post wonder really blew my mind. I didn't honestly think there was anyone that stupid out there. "No one really likes IPAs"? "No one really likes spicy food"? Then why are there entire countries whose food is spicy? Why is IPA one of the most popular styles of beers in the US and UK today? I have to believe that person is a troll since I honestly have a hard time believing anyone is really stupid enough to believe that nonsense.

My girlfriend HATES lagers and considers herself to not be a fan of beers in general, but strangely enough the only kinds of beers that she tends to consistently like are IPAs. I had her drink her first IPA about two years ago and she was so pleasantly surprised with how much she liked it. Now she usually only drinks beer when I offer it to her, but I have a pretty good gauge of the kinds of beers she will or won't like, and she's almost guaranteed to love any IPA that I like.

I do understand the comparison with whiskey how you probably won't like it the first time you drink it ("an acquired taste") and then growing to love it (I was the same way. I HATED the first whiskey I drank, but now I love whiskey, especially bourbon), but I don't personally see that in IPAs. I remember having my first IPA when I was 22 and I remember really enjoying it right off the bat.

That said, just like I don't love every stout, lager, or Belgian beer I've drank, I also don't love every IPA I've drank. And "bitterness" is not the only factor. I've had some IPAs that had the same problems that PAs (as in, regular non-bitter mildly-hopped pale ales) that I hated had.

While I've only loved IPAs since I was 22 (since that was the first time I had them), I've loved spicy food since I was 7 years old. W-Was I brainwashed...and really...I don't love spicy food? Ha. If that were the case, then what does the word "like" or "love" even mean?

I do know some people who hate IPAs, but I don't recommend they try different IPAs. I just suggest beers that are more down their alley. Some people simply don't like IPAs and never will like them, much like some people don't like spicy food and will never like it.

Sierra Nevada' Torpedo is too bitter for me, could barely drink it. Dogfish Head's 60 minute IPA is excellent. Great hop flavor and aroma and hardly any of that bitter beer face taste

Based on my calls the IPA I just finished brewing should be 146 IBU. I did first wort hopping with 1.5 oz of wet fresh cascade and 1 oz of pellet magnum.

I like IPA's with foods that have a lot of seasonings with herbs & such, like pizza for one. But spicy foods can call for a style that cools things down & provide some darker flavor to counterpoint the heat & meat flavors. But, like my 9th grade math teacher said in the early 70's, " Do your own thing, but don't stop me from doing mine"...:mug:

I really think hops are have an addictive quality to them. The more you try them, the more you want them.

This. Just heard an interview on the radio recently with the author of a new book about this very subject. I'll definitely be picking up a copy.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/20...hicory-to-beer-bitter-flavor-can-be-addictive

Being a hop-convert myself, I can absolutely believe that bitterness is addictive, that tolerance can be increased, and that "lupulin shift" is a real phenomenon.

Seriously guys nobody like IPA's or spicy foods. Quit faking posers.

I stated my opinion. I didn't say NOBODY likes IPA, or HOT!!! food. I said that MOST people do not. I eat sriracha on all applicable food. Habenero hot sauce is my choice. I LOVE SPICY FOOD! I drink love Pale Ales that taste like I'm sucking on a hop. I LOVE HOPS! I'm just saying... these people who eat "ghost peppers" are obviously trying to prove a point, or they would eat them every day. I feel it is the same with a LOT of IPA's. If you are offended, then I'm sorry that you feel you have to defend yourself, instead of thinking that maybe you are in the "Actually Like IPA" group. Yes, hops are addictive. Yes, you will like them more once you start brewing. Yes, you will get to a point where you will not even notice the hops in beers, that some people will gag over. Yes, there will be times when only hops will satisfy your quench. Yes, there are good hoppy beers out there. I just think they took a turn for the side-show-freak for awhile. Get over it people, I just stated my opinion because the OP couldn't understand it either. I want him to know that there are brewers like him. I'm sorry that I thought this was a place to state our opinion regarding the Original Post.

On that note, I am currently trying to brew a GOOD IPA, because in my opinion, they SHOULD be good. I've been using the first wort hopping approach to this, any advice on what percentage to use?

Really I was kidding around but you might want to reread your post. What I gathered from it was you agreeing with the points nobody really likes ipa's or hot food. That's not true at all. I have tried ipa's that I didn't care for but I have many that I love. I also enjoy hot foods. I don't want mouth searing spitting fire hot but more to accentuate certain foods. I grow a variety of hot peppers every year of various heat levels. I generally make hot sauces, freeze some, and dry and dehydrate them. But yeah I've spent the last few years growing spicy peppers because I don't really like them. Anyways I'm going to go have a taste of my lacto fermented mango habanero hot sauce and drink an IPA so I can look cool. :mug:

OP,

My $.02

Latest posts

Back