Drank a Bud today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muels

Reaction score
Helped our neighbor's caretaker blow leaves the other day. She's 80 and only speaks German but was trying thank the wife and I. She brought out a Bud for me. I was already drinking a spotted cow so she set it by the tree. She got tired and went in the house while we finished up so I threw it in the fridge when I got home. Just drank it.

First non craft brew in a year or two... Wouldn't by a six pack but it was drinkable and not offensive. I don't actively avoid BMC but I got 5 full kegs, a few cases of bottles, some random commercial six packs, and a porter ready to keg once I get some room. Most of my friends drink craft and/or brew so there is not a whole lot of opportunities for BMC. But I still wouldn't turn it down!!!

That is all

Someone brings you a beer, you better damn well drink it! I would have done the same and given her a heartfelt thanks in return. Budweiser, are they the Darth Vader of the universe, no (despite what a lot of homebrewers say) Is it a great beer, clearly no.

When they are fresh off the truck that is fresh from the brewery its actually not bad at all. My Dad would clearly rather drink a Coors light than most of the stuff I give him.

Trying to make a lite lager that is actually decent is...well...hard. Tried a couple of times and failed. (I have a Pre-prohibition lager in my fermenter right now, fingers crossed on this more flavorful recipe). He likes my Kolsch beers most of all, and they hold a lot more interest to me as well.

It's rude to not drink it for sure! Had she not went in the house and mine wasn't full I would have drank it in front of her. It was a nice gesture.

My brother hates all craft. The beer, not the idea. He tries them but never likes them. I would gladly share my dad's favorite, Busch Bavarian, with him if he was still around.

I've never made a lager, got the equipment just haven't tried. Best of luck. Hope yours turns out!

Off topic below for the Bud discussion, but here goes.

If you've got the equipment, by all means get an ingredient list together and brew away. Pitch double the yeast that you would an ale, and chill below your the temp you want to ferment at (usually 48-50F). Thats the only real tricks as far as I'm concerned.

I've made good/great Vienna's, Oktoberfests, Bocks/DoppleBocks, and Dunkels. But those darn super light colored lagers leave nothing to hide the off flavors behind. Water, yeast, temps, hops must all be perfect (in that order I would think). Cheers!

I don't mind a BMC once in a while. I certainly wouldn't turn one down if offered by a friend or neighbor. There's a dive bar near us that has great burgers, but no craft beer. I'll order a bottle of Miller Highlife to wash it down.

Just because I'm a beer geek doesn't mean I'll get all beer snobby. :)

I don't mind a BMC once in a while. I certainly wouldn't turn one down if offered by a friend or neighbor. There's a dive bar near us that has great burgers, but no craft beer. I'll order a bottle of Miller Highlife to wash it down.

Just because I'm a beer geek doesn't mean I'll get all beer snobby. :)

This :) Love craft beer but nothing wrong with a BMC. Unless I'm out at a place without craft, I keep Genesee in the fridge. But just because I mostly enjoy IPAs and stouts and what not, doesn't mean I don't enjoy a coors light from time to time.

I go dancing at a Honky Tonk every Friday night. I'm the only one in the car and I drink Miller lite there. One an hour. Tried a Coors Lite one night and for the second one I switched back to Millers. They serve a craft beer or two there but since I'm drivng I stay away from the higher alcohol brews.

I am on the hunt now to create a nice light lager. Got my latest rendition in the fermenter right now. I like a cold bud "heavy" every once in a while.

I have never had a true Budweiser but Bud Light Lime is good sailing beer. When either racing around the cans or 500 miles off shore, it is a good beer to have and not get buzzed.

Free beer always tastes better no matter what it is!

I dig a lighter type lager every once in a while.

I cannot imagine trying to brew a light lager. I have nothing against them; they have their place, but the reward is so low, and the effort is just as high as a much better beer. IMHO, some beers are just meant to be purchased -- not home brewed.

I have never liked Bud. Back in the day I'd buy Schmitt's, PBR, anything but Bud. It has a flavor that is off putting, and this flavor isn't in Bud light, nor Mich or any other Busch beer. Now it someone gave me one as a gesture of gratitude I would drink it and say thank you, it's only good manners.

I took my daughter to the hot-ass-Florida zoo this summer. I had a burger and an ice-cold Coors light for lunch. I lived through it!

I cannot imagine trying to brew a light lager. I have nothing against them; they have their place, but the reward is so low, and the effort is just as high as a much better beer. IMHO, some beers are just meant to be purchased -- not home brewed.

True. You could buy them cheaper already made and packaged.

I really am not a big light lager fan so probably won't brew one either. I just like other stuff better. If I'm out, have to drive and don't want anything heavy I'll normally just go with Guinness. But again, any gesture of gratitude should always be gratefully accepted.

Light lagers do indeed have their place. If it's hot, or if I'm being active (yard work or sometimes even while I'm brewing) I prefer to drink Miller Lite over something with more flavor and alcohol. Sometimes I like being able to stay "functional" longer and through more beers.

Back