Double Trouble Electric HERMS Brewery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndrewT

Reaction score
I thought I would show of my hard work.

I would like to thank Kal for inspiring me.
Without his website I would have fumbled through trail and error to make it work. :rockin:

I also have a 10 gallon cooler for bigger beers.(not shown)
This will be my second brew rig. The other is a make shift direct fired setup, but wanted to go electric so I could brew in my brewing area and not my driveway.

It still lacks a few fittings and I still neeed to plumb in the water filter.
Its inaugural brew will be tonight using the American Amber II by BYO.
So here are the pics of my brewery. :mug:

20120602_154748small.jpg

20120602_154806small.jpg

20120602_154724small.jpg

I know it isn't your first post but welcome to HBT either way! Great looking setup there, that panel looks well planned. Hope the first brew went well.

Ya it's a computer case, it is temporary until I can fabricate an enclosure.
First brew went well, the only hiccup was the MT.
Thought I had undershot my initial temp but grabbed my thermometer.
The TC showing 140, thermometer was 148.
Mixed the mash some more and was able to make the TC read148.

I will order my additional camlocks this week, then I will be able to recirc.

The other issue was my boil off rate. I had estimated 1 gph but my boil off rate was more like 1.5 gph with a duty cycle of 75 which I reduced to 70. Had a 90 minute boil so I had time to adjust.

Thanks for comments on the panel.
I contemplated multiple design layouts before settling in with this layout.
Used a scrap of black 3/16" thick plexiglass for the panel.
The pc case is from a Dell Server that my brother gave me.
It took a lot of modifications to clean it up.

Andrew

FYI The Double Trouble name comes from my two kids. I will post the logo later.

I asked because I have plenty of old cases sitting around. You mentioned modifications, what did you need to do? And why do you consider it a temporary solution? Thanks!

The server case side slide off going towards the front. I had to modify it to allow removal to the rear, otherwise I would have to remove the panel everytime to gain access. Also with server towers there is a lot of metal that held multiple fans and hard drives(8).
The biggest issue I have with case is its depth. From the wall to the front is about 26", so takes quite a lot counter space. The panel faceplate is 9" wide by 17" tall. I love my panel layout and plan on keeping it. I will fabricate a new enclosure to accept the panel out of some stainless steel.

I would have used a standard pc case but could not make a panel layout on the front that I liked.
Could have used the side panel to mount but ran into depth issues with the temp controllers.
Most desktop towers are roughly around 6-7" in width.

Here is a close up of the panel.
Had a chance this morning to add the labels.

20120603_131512 small.jpg

It a good looking CP and it looks like no one could sneek up on you when your looking at the pid, smart move.

Back