Double Swig Peared Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blizzz

Reaction score
This is a recipe I just started and wanted to share with everyone. In another month i'll be able to give you the final verdict although it seems promising:

Ingredients:

4 gallons Motts's Natural Fresh Pressed Apple Juice
2 lbs Light Brown Sugar
1/2 lb Dark Brown Sugar
1/2 Gallon of water
1 tsp cinnamon
2 20ct Celestial Seasonings Perfectly Pear White Tea bags
Red Star Cote Des Blancs dry wine yeast

1) Pour 4 Gallons of Mott's Natural Fresh Pressed Apple Juice directly into carboy
2) Start the yeast and let sit.
3) Boil 2 lbs of light brown sugar and 1/2 lb of dark brown sugar into 1/2 gallon of water until saturated. Let cool 2 minutes.
4) 40 Celestial Seasonings Perfectly Pear White Tea Tea bags (2 oz overall) Steeped in the sugar mix from step 2 for 20 minutes stirring occasionally.
5) Remove the tea bags, and squeeze them with two sanitary spoons (spoon on spoon) to extract the most flavor.
6) Add 1 tsp cinnamon and stir until saturated.
7) Pour the Tea/Sugar mix into the carboy and wait 3 minutes.
8) Pitch the yeast.

OG: 1.06 - FG: TBD

Hopefully the final product will have a slight pear taste to complement the apple base. It smelled fantastic while brewing, I can only hope it comes out similar to how the smell was.

I'll keep everyone updated as the fermentation and brewing progresses. I plan on doing half the batch non carbed and the other half normally carbed like a batch of beer would be.

Keep us well informed of your progress with this recipe. I may have to give it a whirl! From the amount of sugar being added, it appears like it will be a fairly potent creation. Won't take much to get "Blitzzzed". hehe
Thanks for sharing it Blizzz.

Fermentation still holding strong and steady. About a bubble through the airlock every 5 seconds or so. Been going for 8 days now at about the same rate. Getting excited ;)

Ok so I bottled the cider yesterday and drank some. Initially it was very dry, a little too "wine like" for my tastes, so i killed the yeast with some sorbistat-k and then added another gallon of fresh cider before bottling to sweeten it up a bit and reintroduce some more apple flavor.

Overall I would give it a 6.5 / 10. It seems the pear flavor was lost in fermentation, which was kind of disappointing.

Back