Double IPA recipe tips and advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aaronius79

Reaction score
Okay, I've decided to put together my own Double IPA/Imperial IPA recipe. I wanted to make an IPA with good floral and herbal notes and maybe some citrus.. not too spicy. I am a greenhorn and this would be my first brew with my own recipe. I have done some extract kits. This is what I have come up with but please advise if there is something wrong or a better way that I should do it.

Fermentables.

9lbs Light DME
2lbs Corn Sugar

Steeping Grains

1lb Crystal 40L

HOPS

2 oz Mosaic (60 minute boil)
2 oz Galaxy (30 minute boil)
1 oz Warrior (5 minute boil)

Dry hop 1 oz -Mosaic for 5 days in secondary

1 pack or 1.5 packs of Safale-US-05

5oz Priming sugar-Dextrose

looking for around ~9% ABV

As I said, I am a total greenhorn and am going off what I have learned thus far and would love some good feedback.

Should I use one pack, 1.5 packs, or 2 of the yeast? SHould I rehydrate the yeast or just go dry?

Is 5oz priming sugar good enough for a 5 gallon batch of this high OG.

SHould I use an airlock or blowhose for my 6.5 gallon bucket fermentor?

Do I need to stay around 65-68 degrees for fermentation?

should I use more or less of steeping grains and is just the crystal 40L ok or should I use something else or something more with it?

anything else that helps me achieve my flavor profile goal would be great.

THank you!:mug:

I think I would switch the hop schedule around and switch warrior with mosaic. the last 5 mins is your aroma and I always thought that mosaic was more of an aroma hop than warrior and I like the smooth bitterness of warrior. Unless that's what you want, and you want the aroma qualities of warrior, go for it.

As I said, I am a total greenhorn and am going off what I have learned thus far and would love some good feedback.

Should I use one pack, 1.5 packs, or 2 of the yeast? SHould I rehydrate the yeast or just go dry?

Is 5oz priming sugar good enough for a 5 gallon batch of this high OG.

SHould I use an airlock or blowhose for my 6.5 gallon bucket fermentor?

Do I need to stay around 65-68 degrees for fermentation?

should I use more or less of steeping grains and is just the crystal 40L ok or should I use something else or something more with it?

anything else that helps me achieve my flavor profile goal would be great.

THank you!:mug:

Use two packets and rehydrate.

5 oz of priming sugar is enough.

6.5 gallons should be enough head space. but you can use a blowoff to be safe, it doesn't hurt.

Anything between 65-68 degrees F is fine.

A pound of 40l crystal is enough. Its what I use for my IPA and it gives off the right amount of sweetness.

Also, relax. You are stressing the small things.

Also, if you want good amount of aroma, I would use more hops in flameout and steep it there while your cooling with an immersion chiller. Steeping is what is going to give you your aroma the most. I would use 3-4 oz of steeping hops. Some people use more.

Overall, it seems like too little of hops for a DIPA. What I can picture is a strong beer, dry, with residual sweetnes, and a little bitterness and some hop aroma.....you need to add more hops in the last few minutes......I would do 2oz of warrior for 60 min, and 4 oz of the rest at flameout. and reserve 2-3 oz for dry hopping. If you want to add hops during the 30 min addition like what you have written down, I would add an ounce total. If you don't have enough hops to do this, ditch the dry hop and putting everything, minus your bittering hops, at flame out.

I always do a first wort hop addition with my bittering hops in my IPA's/apa's. I also always do a hop stand with my last hop additions too. Take your 5 min addition and drop it in after the boil is complete and the wort is not at a boiling temp. Then let the hops sit in the wort for 10-20 minutes. You will get a nice sticky resin feel to the beer that I love in IIPA's.

I also agree with pcampo... you should add more hops! IIPA's are hop monsters and should had a load of hops, esp at the end. Just experiment and do what feels right, take notes, and make sure everything is clean and sanitized. Your fermentation temps look fine. Good luck! Let us know how it turns out.

I would move your 30 minute hops to late in the boil (either 0, 5, or 10 minutes from end of boil). I feel like 30 minutes is a dead zone... it's not bittering (like your 60 minute hops) and it's not flavor or aroma, which come in late in the boil. I like the comment from pcampo to add some of your hops at flameout.

As for your 5 oz of priming sugar, use a calculator. The general rule that 5 oz is good for 5 gallons is not very accurate. Use an online calculator.

Check the temp range of the yeast you're using. You'll have a little more wiggle room than 65-68, but the more constant the temp, the better.

Thank you everyone for the advice. I'll definitely change up the hop schedule.

One more question... Do you always want your bittering hop to go for the 60 minute boil?

It can be for 60, 90, or even 45. It just depends on how many IBUs, and utilization you want.

But typically, yes, people do a 60 min or 90 min addition for IPA's. I do 60 min. For the extra 5 IBU points that 90 minute addition give, Id rather not wait for the 90 min boil.

You can also throw in your bittering hops while you are steeping specialty grains before the boil to experiment with First Wort Hopping. It creates a smoother bitterness (less bite).

Use two packets and rehydrate.

5 oz of priming sugar is enough.

6.5 gallons should be enough head space. but you can use a blowoff to be safe, it doesn't hurt.

Anything between 65-68 degrees F is fine.

A pound of 40l crystal is enough. Its what I use for my IPA and it gives off the right amount of sweetness.

Also, relax. You are stressing the small things.

Also, if you want good amount of aroma, I would use more hops in flameout and steep it there while your cooling with an immersion chiller. Steeping is what is going to give you your aroma the most. I would use 3-4 oz of steeping hops. Some people use more.

Overall, it seems like too little of hops for a DIPA. What I can picture is a strong beer, dry, with residual sweetnes, and a little bitterness and some hop aroma.....you need to add more hops in the last few minutes......I would do 2oz of warrior for 60 min, and 4 oz of the rest at flameout. and reserve 2-3 oz for dry hopping. If you want to add hops during the 30 min addition like what you have written down, I would add an ounce total. If you don't have enough hops to do this, ditch the dry hop and putting everything, minus your bittering hops, at flame out.

WHen you say 4 oz of the rest at flame out do you mean 4 oz of both mosaic and galaxy for a total of 8 oz's or do you mean 2 oz of each at flameout? sorry just want to make sure I understood you correctly.

Worked this up for you. It won't be exact since I used my equipment profile, but it will give you something to go on and you can adjust to suit your needs. I lowered the dextrose to 1lb. When I added 2lbs it estimated the abv at 10%. I assume you are doing a full boil because that will affect your hop utilization as well. Generally speaking, if you do a partial boil you will need more hops. I would rehydrate the yeast and use a blow of tube just to be safe. Hope this helps.

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: DIPA
Brewer: aaronius79
Asst Brewer:
Style: Imperial IPA
TYPE: Extract
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 6.72 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.72 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.081 SG
Estimated Color: 11.8 SRM
Estimated IBU: 133.8 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 0.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 1 9.1 %
2.00 oz Warrior [15.00 %] - First Wort 60.0 min Hop 2 89.3 IBUs
9 lbs Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 3 81.8 %
1 lbs Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 4 9.1 %
1.00 oz Galaxy [14.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 5 15.1 IBUs
1.00 oz Mosaic (HBC 369) [12.25 %] - Boil 5.0 mi Hop 6 7.3 IBUs
2.00 oz Mosaic (HBC 369) [12.25 %] - Steep/Whirl Hop 7 22.1 IBUs
2.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) Yeast 8 -
2.00 oz Mosaic (HBC 369) [12.25 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Hop 9 0.0 IBUs

Not only do you get a little more ibu's in a 90 min boil but you also evaporate more water from the wort as well. This will give you a higher gravity and a "thicker" beer.

WHen you say 4 oz of the rest at flame out do you mean 4 oz of both mosaic and galaxy for a total of 8 oz's or do you mean 2 oz of each at flameout? sorry just want to make sure I understood you correctly.

I meant 4 oz total, of however combination you would like. you can certainly use more, it wont hurt. But in my opinion, if you want a "hop bomb" in your DIPA, you going to need more than 2 oz of hops at flame out.

If you have spigot/ballvalve at the bottom of your boil kettle you can recirculate while chilling to do a "whirlpool" for your hops and utilize them a bit more.

Back