Double hoped NEIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mohr.jozsef

Reaction score
Hi! Today, i brew my NEIPA and by mistake, I hoped it twice (should hop at 10 min, but I did it at 60). It will be 110-120 IBU. :( Is there a way to save it?
Thank You

If you’re a new brewer I honestly say just let the beer finish and then adjust next time you brew. All you did was make a west coast ipa and those are great.

If you feel you must “fix” it. You would have to match the volume and gravity of the beer you just brewed (to make it actually the same beer you intended to brew originally). And if your waiting to pitch the yeast, you need to brew like now. If your plan on blending after fermentation, oxidation is going to ruin the beer. So again, I strongly suggest just finishing this beer out and making changes next brew

As @Dgallo said, no need to save it, just drink it and enjoy. The ibu's might calculate to 100+, but in reality, after fermentation and conditioning lab testing would show it to be nowhere near 100.

Also, being a NEIPA I suspect your water is lower on sulfates, which will help reduce the perception of bitterness.

That isn't to say it won't taste more bitter than the recipe usually is, but I'm sure it is far from ruined!

Thank You for Your reply! The "hoppy" wort is just 3h old, so shows no fermentation activity. I will try to brew a hop(e)less one, and devide the hoppy wort in 2 fermenters, ad then let fill it 50%-50% with the new. In this way I try to minimalize the air/wild yeast contact.

Thank You for Your reply! The "hoppy" wort is just 3h old, so shows no fermentation activity. I will try to brew a hop(e)less one, and devide the hoppy wort in 2 fermenters, ad then let fill it 50%-50% with the new. In this way I try to minimalize the air/wild yeast contact.
It will work but it opens you up to far worse issues than elevated ibu levels

As with what Dgallo said, if you're a newer brewer, you might be best off just letting it ferment out. Exposing your wort at this point to microbes or O2 might in fact ruin both batches rather than saving one.

The difference in your hopping schedule boil down to more than just IBU's. Hops contain different oils that are released/destroyed at certain temperatures and times. A NEIPA generally has very few bittering hops, or hops that you add early on at 60 minutes, because the oils (juicy, fruity) that are most important to the style are retained at lower temperatures.

Diluting your wort will not save your NEIPA as those flavors are gone now. It will only create a less bitter beer.

Back