Double estimated time in primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeroyJenkins

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I brewed two BB kits (Belgian IPA, and double IPA) and they are still bubbling away after 12 days. The instructions said 4-6 days is when they should be done. Is something wrong here? I've kept them around 70 for a while, and then dropped them down to around 64 5 days ago because I realized the stick on thermometers were almost the same temp at the air, instead of 5 degrees higher. They're in glass carboys and the "swirling" seems to have stopped but the double is still bubbling once every 2 seconds and the Belgian is bubbling once every 12 seconds. Is something wrong here?

1. I've never had a beer sit in primary for less than 3 wks before bottling (esp big ones), I don't rack to secondary either though.
2. No matter what the time or bubbling...Specific gravity tells u when it's ready ( 2 identical readings 3 d's apart) not airlock activity.
3. Temp control is important for 1st 3-5 days of active fermentation which is when the off flavors can be produced...If your temp was too high for first few days, you would be too late in dropping temp after the fact.

1. I've never had a beer sit in primary for less than 3 wks before bottling (esp big ones), I don't rack to secondary either though.
2. No matter what the time or bubbling...Specific gravity tells u when it's ready ( 2 identical readings 3 d's apart) not airlock activity.
3. Temp control is important for 1st 3-5 days of active fermentation which is when the off flavors can be produced...If your temp was too high for first few days, you would be too late in dropping temp after the fact.

+1^^^ on this. You can't keep yeast on a schedule printed on some instructions. A lot of variables affect when a beer is done. The most important ingredient in great beer is patience.

+1^^^ on this. You can't keep yeast on a schedule printed on some instructions. A lot of variables affect when a beer is done. The most important ingredient in great beer is patience.

+1 to these guys

I just wanted to add that leaving a beer in primary longer is not going to hurt you either. Since the yeast is still alive and consuming oxygen, leaving the beer sitting on the lees for several months won't hurt it. If you can't measure the SG yet, or you are worried about leaving it too long, just wait it out another week or two.

I almost never secondary a beer, unless it's a pilsner, and letting it sit after fermentation completes just lets the yeast settle out. If you can wait for it, you will end up with a much clearer beer.

if you are bottle conditioning, you can secondary for an hour or so in your bottling bucket with the sugar (from 100-150g depending on desired carbonation) and bottle. Batch priming will ensure everything carbonates properly after fermentation and you can leave the beer in the fridge for 2 weeks to clear.

Hope I didn't throw too much info at you, but it might help along the rest of the process.

Back