Double dry hopping a double IPA question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oli-aus

Reaction score
Greetings from Melbourne!

So I've been reading this article from Russian river:
https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/attachments/0000/6351/doubleIPA.pdf

It says that a double ipa should really be dry hopped twice and be purged with co2 each time as oxygen kills hop aroma.

I have a dog fish head 90 mins clone in the fermentor at the moment which I would like to dry hop a second time.

My question is: If I added some sugar water to the fermentor once I put the dry hops in will it form a layer of co2 over the beer which would sheild it from oxygen? And therefore protect against oxidisation?

Thanks in advance.

Adding sugar will kick up active fermentation again, which will strip hop aroma even quicker than typical oxidation. I would blanket with CO2 from a tank if you have the ability or just open and close your fermenter quickly each time you add your dry hops. I do the latter and am quite happy with the results. I think the difference will be minimal. Some things aren't worth the extra fuss in the end - either way you'll have a great beer!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I'm flying in the face of convention here, but I started dryhopping earlier and earlier in fermentation to see if the idea that C02 off gassing would strip hop aroma panned out. I haven't found that to be the case.

It's anecdotal, but there's that. I also wonder aloud why brewers would put such a large proportion of hops into their wort for "hopstands" if they thought that aroma was merely going to be stripped out by C02.

/hereticalthought

cool, word of the day, I think this word applies to a lot of brewing practice

Thanks for the replies guys.
I think I will just open and close the fermentor quickly like I have been doing then.

I am curious to see if a second dry hop really makes a big difference.

Back