Spice, Herb, or Vegetable Beer Double Chocolate Oatmeal Snout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ive brewed this 3 times and its always a favorite. Ive used hersheys dark and regular hersheys cocoa powder. The regular taste better. Ive also used a vanilla bean and extract. If you want the vanilla flavor to be more pronounced use extract. The bean is very mild and hardly noticable to me anyway.

Im going to brew this for a 4th time and use 8oz of cocoa and .5 oz of vanilla extract. I also like adding Lactose. 4oz adds some body and smooths out the sweetness some.

Just brewed this baby up, took a taste two days into fermentation and a was surprised by a little bit of a sour taste right at the start. Not sure if that is the bitterness of the cocoa powder, but I'm kind of hoping that dissipates over the conditioning in the next week. Anybody else get this same result?

image-2028219736.jpg

2 days into fermentation is any kind of indicator of what the beer will taste like. Wait till fermentation is a least over then taste again.

so i haven't seen an exact all grain recipe yet but after i used some formulas found on the Palmer website to convert the extract to all grain i came up with

9.5 ish pounds of 2 row
.86 ish pounds of crystal 60L

and keeping everything else the same, would this change the recipe much?
would i still get the same results for the beer?

Brewed the AG version on pg 1 on Monday. Threw in a lb of lactose, too. Planning on tossing in 2 or 3 vanilla beans and 4 oz cacao nibs as well. At bottling time, may throw in just a smidge of cold extracted coffee. This brew is gonna be AWESOME. Oh, also used White Labs WL002 (two vials). Not that I don't love dark chocolate, but I did want something sweeter. OG came in at 1.074. I can't wait!

As I see, most of the brewers are using kakao powder for choco feeling, I am wondering if using a real black chocolate is a good idea? Anyone tried that? Other question when the chocolate should be added? In 15minutes till boiling end or somethnig like that? And here is a question which was bothering me for a long time, but never had a chance to ask, if you add sugars, chocolate, fruits or other stuff in boiling stage, will it change your gravity? Will the gravity change for a same ammount if I would add Chocolate into a boiling stage and if I would add it straight into fermenter?

Cocoa powder won't change the gravity at all. Sugar definitely will because... well, that's the whole reason you check the gravity... to see how much sugar is in it.

Fruit... it depends on how much sugar is extracted into solution. But fruit is best added later during the ferment rather than the boil. Boiling sets the pectin in the fruit and you can get something approaching beer jello. Ok, that's an exaggeration but you get the point.

When you say "real black chocolate" I'm guessing you mean like a chocolate bar or something? That's just going to be less cocoa and more other stuff like fats that can cause problems with your head retention.

I always add the cocoa powder late in the boil so it has time to churn around and really get mixed with the wort to impart a lot of flavor. It all settles out in the end so it's almost like steeping a tea or something.

Thanks for posting this recipe ChshreCat. It has inspired a recipe of my own. May I ask a question? Why Do you need to use "fat free" cacao? The reason I ask is that I ordered RAW Cacao beans....they are whole and not roasted, and have a higher fat content then most powders on the market. This is a link to what I bought....http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EKRRVQ0/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I am/was planning on grinding 5 oz. of these and adding 5 minutes left in the boil. But I am a little concerned as you stated "fat free".
Thoughts?:confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for posting this recipe ChshreCat. It has inspired a recipe of my own. May I ask a question? Why Do you need to use "fat free" cacao? The reason I ask is that I ordered RAW Cacao beans....they are whole and not roasted, and have a higher fat content then most powders on the market. This is a link to what I bought....http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EKRRVQ0/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I am/was planning on grinding 5 oz. of these and adding 5 minutes left in the boil. But I am a little concerned as you stated "fat free".
Thoughts?:confused:

Fats tend to destroy head retention in your beer. I use fat free cocoa powder to retain as much head as I can on my beer. If you don't mind a lack of foam, then there's nothing to worry about. It shouldn't affect it otherwise though I'm not sure you'd get quick as much chocolate flavor.

Now... if it were me... I'd go ahead and use fat free cocoa powder, but a slightly smaller amount, in the boil. Then I'd take those cocoa beans and crack them into smaller chunks with a rolling pin, but not grind then down to powder and then secondary on them. Call it a TRIPLE chocolate stout!

THEN (Yeah, I'm not done yet).... THEN... when you bottle, take those beer soaked nibs and rinse the yeast off them and back them into a chocolate cheesecake. Dark chocolate cheesecake with stout-soaked cocoa nibs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fats tend to destroy head retention in your beer. I use fat free cocoa powder to retain as much head as I can on my beer. If you don't mind a lack of foam, then there's nothing to worry about. It shouldn't affect it otherwise though I'm not sure you'd get quick as much chocolate flavor.

Now... if it were me... I'd go ahead and use fat free cocoa powder, but a slightly smaller amount, in the boil. Then I'd take those cocoa beans and crack them into smaller chunks with a rolling pin, but not grind then down to powder and then secondary on them. Call it a TRIPLE chocolate stout!

THEN (Yeah, I'm not done yet).... THEN... when you bottle, take those beer soaked nibs and rinse the yeast off them and back them into a chocolate cheesecake. Dark chocolate cheesecake with stout-soaked cocoa nibs.

Dude...your a bigger addict than Willy Wonka!;) Thanks for the reply:rockin:

I made this three days ago, still no bubbles. Followed the ingredients to the T. Only issue I can think of is the rubber washer that seals the airlock to the lid is missing, but I've worked around that in the past and had no issues (I stuff a plastic bag in there, and pushed the airlock through). Any ideas what could be going wrong, or do I just need more patience?

I used 8 ounces of cocoa power - unsweetened. Could this be the issue? I added it to the last 10 - 15 minutes of the boil, as instructed. The yeast went in after the brew had cooled to roughly room temperature.

I made this three days ago, still no bubbles. Followed the ingredients to the T. Only issue I can think of is the rubber washer that seals the airlock to the lid is missing, but I've worked around that in the past and had no issues (I stuff a plastic bag in there, and pushed the airlock through). Any ideas what could be going wrong, or do I just need more patience?

I used 8 ounces of cocoa power - unsweetened. Could this be the issue? I added it to the last 10 - 15 minutes of the boil, as instructed. The yeast went in after the brew had cooled to roughly room temperature.

All it takes is a small leak in the lid of your fermenter and you'll get no airlock bubbles. Bubbles don't mean a thing. If you're really worried, take a hydrometer sample and see if it's gone down from where it was when you pitched. If it has, you're fine.

This one time (not at band camp, though) I couldn't find my lid. I just covered the whole bucket with tinfoil.

beerfoil-37194.jpg

The beer fermented just fine and as a bonus it was unaffected by the alien mind control rays.

Im on my fifth run of brewing this...which is awesome. Problem is I forgot the lactose at the brew store. So, If I skip it does it matter? Also, can I use powdered sugar or is that completely different?

Im on my fifth run of brewing this...which is awesome. Problem is I forgot the lactose at the brew store. So, If I skip it does it matter? Also, can I use powdered sugar or is that completely different?

I'd definitely not use powdered sugar. That generally has an anti-caking agent in it such as corn starch or flour or any number of other things.

Since the recipe doesn't call for lactose, I see no problem with leaving it out. :D

Man thats crazy....I could have sworn I used 2lbs of lactose last time I made this. Ok then....never mind :)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

All it takes is a small leak in the lid of your fermenter and you'll get no airlock bubbles. Bubbles don't mean a thing. If you're really worried, take a hydrometer sample and see if it's gone down from where it was when you pitched. If it has, you're fine.

Appreciate the reply, thanks. I can tell the seal is pretty good, was just worried the yeast were protesting or dead or something. Two more weeks in the primary, then I'll move to secondary and take it from there.

One further question - just go with the standard 2/3 cups of corn sugar to bottle?

If you are concerned about the fat in cocoa nibs, here's an idea: roast nibs, crush, add to neutral spirit, (vodka) and wait a few days, like a week maybe? Put into tall narrow glass ( if possible ) insert a straw, and place in freezer. The fat will solidify and float. Then remove straw, and pour out a really amazing chocolate extract. Use the cocoa butter for something else...

Just did a all-grain version today. Smelled great! Used S-04 and hit a gravity of 1.066. Cant wait to sample it!

Appreciate the reply, thanks. I can tell the seal is pretty good, was just worried the yeast were protesting or dead or something. Two more weeks in the primary, then I'll move to secondary and take it from there.

One further question - just go with the standard 2/3 cups of corn sugar to bottle?

No idea how much that weighs and you should always measure by weight. I use about 4 ounces or so of corn sugar.

I have an issue I think....after the fermentation was done I transferred it to a second carboy. On my brew bucket when I siphoned down to the 2 gallons mark it became thick like sludge. Really really thick. I always have loss but to the 2 gallon mark? I guess I just putch the sludge and lose that much volume. Dont know what else to do.

On second thought I think I know what I did....my grain bag broke and about 1/3 of got in my wort. So a large amount ended up in the bucket and I didnt compensate for the volume loss...oh well. Lesson learned.

Great thread--I am inspired to make a BIAB version for the winter.

Is the consensus on this recipe to use cocoa powder in the boil as opposed to cocoa nibs in the secondary? Which has the 'better', more complementary chocolate addition?

If you are of one opinion or the other, how much did you use of what?

Great thread--I am inspired to make a BIAB version for the winter.

Is the consensus on this recipe to use cocoa powder in the boil as opposed to cocoa nibs in the secondary? Which has the 'better', more complementary chocolate addition?

If you are of one opinion or the other, how much did you use of what?

I designed this to be very strongly chocolate flavored and that's what you'll get with cocoa powder in the boil. Nibs in secondary will give you a much more subtle cocoa flavor. The choice between them is yours.

I was always under the impression nibs gave you more chocolatey flavors?

Could you do the same freezing procedure with vodka+cocoa powder to remove some/most of the fat?

Nope, something went wrong. I just went to move to the secondary and the yeast were still still floating on top. No fermentation had taken place. I either made a huge mistake or the yeast were DOA, but I've never heard of that happening. I'm worried maybe it was too cold when I put them in, as there was a little ice floating around at the top, but the thermometer indicated it was clear.

Anyway, I moved to the secondary. I am planning on re-yeasting, letting it sit for a couple of weeks and then adding the vanilla bean, giving it another week, bottling. I lost about 1 gallon due to the thick chocolate syrup on the bottom of the bucket. Is this worth trying or is it too late?

The smell of the "brew" was fantastic, so I'm still hopeful it can be salvaged.

Thanks for the recipe. I think i'm going with the original recipe. Anything changed in the near past that I should adjust from the original recipe on page 1 of 47.

Thanks again! Excited to try this.

JB

Thanks for the recipe. I think i'm going with the original recipe. Anything changed in the near past that I should adjust from the original recipe on page 1 of 47.

Thanks again! Excited to try this.

JB

Not if you don't want to. People have done lots of different variations on the original, but I still brew it pretty much the same. I just adjust the amount of cocoa powder now and then according to my mood.

Thanks for the recipe! Just put 5.5 gallons in the fermenter today. Couldn't find 100% fat free cocoa powder so used some low fat stuff from Trader Joes. Hopefully it works out. Smelled great!

:mug:
~Joe

Thanks for the recipe! Just put 5.5 gallons in the fermenter today. Couldn't find 100% fat free cocoa powder so used some low fat stuff from Trader Joes. Hopefully it works out. Smelled great!

:mug:
~Joe

The only difference will be that the fat will give you a little less head on your beer. Doesn't affect the flavor at all. :mug:

Just cracked my first chocolate stout..I used a oatmeal stout kit from my lhbs. Then I added about 4 oz of lactose for some more sweet and mouthfeel..then I put a whole bag of brewers best coco nibs..a month bottle conditioning and just cracked my first bottle..oh..my..I dont believe I brewed that..its almost perfect..head retention is ok..bit whoa..what a flavor

This is my third batch of beer and first partial mash, thank you for putting out a recipe that sounds so good that I had to step outside of my comfort zone.

Three weeks since bottling and I can't wait any longer, will be cracking the first one tonight. I'll probably try one a week until it tastes "right", then who knows how long it will last. The only change I made is using nibs in secondary as opposed to powder during the boil and I added a second vanilla bean. Even the little bit left over in the bottling bucket tasted great, so I imagine the final product will be amazing.

This is my third batch of beer and first partial mash, thank you for putting out a recipe that sounds so good that I had to step outside of my comfort zone.

Three weeks since bottling and I can't wait any longer, will be cracking the first one tonight. I'll probably try one a week until it tastes "right", then who knows how long it will last. The only change I made is using nibs in secondary as opposed to powder during the boil and I added a second vanilla bean. Even the little bit left over in the bottling bucket tasted great, so I imagine the final product will be amazing.

It probably won't have nearly the chocolate flavor using nibs rather than powder, but it should still be tasty.

I like to use gelatin for fining, do you think it will affect the chocolate flavor? Has anybody here used gelatin with this beer and did it affect the flavor?

Hey there. Thanks for the recipe!

I did a newbie mistake and added the cocoa powder to the entire boil. Do you think the beer is ruined?

Also for the vanilla bean how did you add it to secondary?

Looking forward to this beer hope I didn't ruin it.

Hey there. Thanks for the recipe!

I did a newbie mistake and added the cocoa powder to the entire boil. Do you think the beer is ruined?

Also for the vanilla bean how did you add it to secondary?

Looking forward to this beer hope I didn't ruin it.

I'm not the OP but I'll throw out my two cents to your question. I don't think it's ruined but it will probably be different (which can be a good thing). How did it taste going into the fermenter? Did it have a massive dark chocolate flavor? I just made this recipe two weeks ago and I can tell you that it should have a very definitive dark chocolate flavor going into the fermenter. If you are so inclined you could make another batch and add more cocoa than the recipes calls for (at the end this time) and then combine the batches going into your keg or your bottling bucket. As for the vanilla bean, you will want to split the bean down the middle before adding it to the fermenter. I actually split the bean down the middle and scraped out the inside then chopped the bean and put it (and the stuff I scraped out) into a sanitized cup with a small amount of vodka. Covered with plastic wrap and let sit overnight. then dumped into the fermenter.

Hey there danimalt. Thanks for the response and the clear instructions.

1. Yes it did taste very chocolaty. I guess can't do much about it now so we'll just roll with it and add the vanilla bean and see what happens.
2. Thanks for the vanilla bean instructions. I'll go ahead and do that and put it into secondary next week sometime.

Thank you again!

Back