Dos and don'ts for kegging cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcbpilot99

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

Long time lurker here, ready to pull the trigger on my first batch of hard cider. Only problem is, I've been kegging my homebrew for the last 10 years and haven't bottled at all since then. Question: any potential pitfalls to kegging a batch of cider instead of bottling? Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Hi everybody,

Long time lurker here, ready to pull the trigger on my first batch of hard cider. Only problem is, I've been kegging my homebrew for the last 10 years and haven't bottled at all since then. Question: any potential pitfalls to kegging a batch of cider instead of bottling? Thanks in advance!

You need to add some Potassium Sorbate in the Keg to prevent any further fermentation, and then back sweeten, "if you want to". There are no pitfalls to kegging, other than not aging in bottles if you want to.

It works great. I've found that I like a little more carbonation in cider than in my beers. Ciders usually get 15 psi while beers get 12 or below. But 12 psi on a cider is really good too.

Didn't know about the potassium sorbate. How much would you add for a batch? I found the thread with the caramel apple cider recipe and that one looked good for a first go. That recipe back sweetens with caramel syrup and apple juice concentrate. Thanks also for the tip on higher psi for carbonation. I usually keep mine at 7 or 8 but will bump it up for carbonating this batch. Excited to put it together! Thanks again!!

Also, as I think about it, why wouldn't the cold temp of the kegerator prevent further fermentation? Could I get away without adding the potassium sorbate?

Also, as I think about it, why wouldn't the cold temp of the kegerator prevent further fermentation? Could I get away without adding the potassium sorbate?

The directions are 1/2 tsp / gallon. If you keep your kegerator in the 30's probably, if you let the cider dry out. If you are going to sweeten it more, I would think you would still run the risk of a little fermentation, and making the cider cloudy.

I use wine conditioner in my ciders,(invert sugar, ascorbic acid) and have never had a restarted fermentation after the cider was chilled down to 38 or so. That being said I have also been using ale yeast in my ciders for years.

I have been using a technique that avoids the potassium sorbate and k-meta. I cold crash the cider, rack to another vessel and cold crash again, then rack to keg. That leaves the yeast behind (in theory at least) so fermentation shouldn't start back up when I backsweeten. Just to be on the safe side, though, I keep the full and backsweetened keg in the fridge so keep any remaining yeast dormant.

Why not use alcohol sugar like xlitol? it wont restart fermentation... also splenda should not either.... or is adding frozen apple juice concentrate a better option?

I have kegged the same recipe that you are planning to use twice. Neither time did I have to "kill" the yeast. A cold refrigerator will make them go dormant and there is no risk of fermentation starting again. I would suggest starting out a little shy on the concentrated apple juice used for back sweetening. It seems that a little goes a long way and you could always add more to taste but you can't take it out once it has been added. Start with the modified recipe of three cans, then taste it. If still to dry you could add another.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Xylitol causes gastric issues with some people. Try it on cereal or in water before messing with some good cider. If it doesn't cause problems for you and whoever drinks the cider.. no harm no foul :)

Back