Door Mounted Faucets on Mini Fridge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnybrew

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I want to put a mini fridge in the kitchen pantry and the height of a top-mounted tower will really take up too much of the valuable shelf space. I thought that if I put the mini fridge on the 2nd or 3rd shelf from the bottom it would be at a comfortable height for dispensing from faucets mounted to the front door. Then, I would have shelf space above and below the fridge for such miscellaneous food items like cereal for the kids, dried pasta, canned goods, etc. ;)

My question is will a door mounted faucet protrude too deeply into the fridge for the cornies to fit or stand up properly? The fridge I am looking at is a Danby all fridge model (no freezer) (Danby 4.4 cu. ft. Designer Series Compact All-Refrigerator Model No: 176093) (http://www.hhgregg.com/ProductDetail.asp?SID=n&ProductID=16331#page).

Anyone ever do this? If not, those with a similar model fridge... do you think faucets on the front door would work?

Thanks in advance!

What are the inner dimensions of that unit?

I dunno. Its a 4.4 cu ft and only gives the external dimensions (20 3/4 x 21 1/2 x 33). My assumption is that it would be tight. Also, I guess I would remove the storage shelves on the door.

Maybe I would have to stack the faucets? Put one up high and then another down low enough for a pint glass to clear when pouring from the top? This way the shank and tubing would be in the middle where the two cornies would/could be separated?

I have a similar fridge - 3 cornys fit with wiggle room. I think with short shanks and 90 degree tail pieces you will be fine if you locate them as close together as you can, in the center of the door.

Edit: You could take a hole saw to the door liner too, removing the plastic inner liner and a small circle of insulation. that would let you use a regular "Tower" type shank, and run the inside jam nut directly to the door skin.

That would be almost flush when the tail piece clears the inside skin of the door...

Whatever you do JohnnyBrew, let us know and see the final product/decision as I have the same fridge and have contemplated such a project when funds become available.

you may be able to put the shanks high enough to clear the top of the kegs, depending on the internal height. or you could keep the shank to the center or sides of the door where the kegs are not sticking out as far. finally you could always do a small false top. the key will be getting the fridge and striping off the door panel. the finding the smallest shank that will fit (be sure to leave enough space for the nuts and possibly 90 degree tail pieces.

I have two faucets on my Sanyo 4912. 4 1/8" shanks mounted near the top so there is no problems with space.

2000450141_medium.jpg

Can you send some pics of the interior? And, maybe give a little detail on what you did? THANKS!!

I actually use this as a fermentation fridge now as i just finished building a kreezer. But essentially i just measured the middle and drilled a couple of 1" holes about 4" apart through the fridge at a comfortable height near the top. Since there's no cooling lines in the door, there's no worry of messing anything up.

Ikea "lack" series side table. The Sanyo 4912 fits on it perfectly and it is plenty strong...only 7.99!

Alrighty, just curious. Thanks for getting back to me... I want to get back into kegging but budget is tight so I'm thinking I might just go through the door (I already have more shanks than I need, just no tower) and something tells me putting it up on a milk crate might not be the best idea...

I also had my... 2nd(?) kegerator burn out on me 'cause I was stupid and left it sitting on the carpet, so I figure the more circulation I get all around it can't hurt.

Back