Simple two faucet kegerator/fermenting chamber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elgatovolador

Reaction score
Just wanted to share my set up for anyone trying to make a single or two faucet kegerator.

When I was planning my build I couldn’t find any recent instructional DIY videos or just instructions in general that used current mini-fridge models so hopefully this will help anyone on the same boat I was.

I managed to score a brand new Haier 4.5 cu. ft. on Craigslist for $60. You can buy a new one at Walmart for around $120. (Model number attached as pic).

To make this mini fridge work you’ll have to modify the freezer tray on the ceiling to get enough head space for your corny keg. You just have to remove the screws that hold it to the ceiling and push it down so that it is laying against the back wall. Just be careful to not break the coolant line! I ended up screwing it to the back wall so it wouldn’t move.

If you want to be able to fit two ball lock kegs, or a carboy you’ll need to cut out the front door inside panel to remove the shelves etc.

I think that changing the freezer tray location messes up with the cooling dynamics of the fridge (either that or the thermostat on it sucks) so might as well order an inkbird temperature controller or similar if you’re using this mini fridge.

Here are some pictures. It’s nothing fancy but it’s simple and compact! You can fit a 5lb CO2 tank in the back and two 5 gallon ball lock kegs perfectly. Right now I have a double IPA cold crashing before kegging tomorrow.

My plan is to find another one of these and make it a permanent fermenting chamber, and have my kegerator sit on top.

Hope this helps anyone with limited space like myself!

IMG_3787.JPG
IMG_3790.JPG
IMG_3791.JPG
IMG_3792.JPG
IMG_3793.JPG

I am interested in this as a fermentation chamber (I don't keg). Specifically how you removed the door's shelving. My fridge needs that removed as well but I am not sure what the process would be. I'm am very un-mechanical...

I am interested in this as a fermentation chamber (I don't keg). Specifically how you removed the door's shelving. My fridge needs that removed as well but I am not sure what the process would be. I'm am very un-mechanical...

I did it only with my drill and a hammer. Really you could do it with a utility knife as well.

For a drill, you have to get a drill cutting disk mandrel adapter, and a cutting disk. Essentially you need to peel off the plastic...them removing the insulation is fairly easy.

Just make sure you take all safety precautions and use personal protective equipment.

IMG_4417.JPG
IMG_4418.JPG

Progress of my build! Only thing missing is drip tray and I’ll be set to go.

Bottom fridge is the fermentation chamber.

pretty slick idea...dirt cheap and simple...

you could also put them side by side and lay a piece of wood across the top and make a nice bar top or whatever...

I would try to seal the door panel...maybe a can of that flex seal stuff? it comes in white...just spray a few coats onto the exposed foam...

I would first try adjusting the coarse set screw on the thermostat...you might get it to run in a decent ferm temp range without a controller.

Back