Don't laugh (ok you can)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abide

Reaction score
lesson learned about patients. 4 stouts in and all start off brown in Color did not wait but two weeks before I put them in the keg. Hit it with Co2 waited about 24 hours tried it sucked a few more days through it out. The 3rd stout transferring from primary to secondary Waited a week transferred it to my keg realized a lot of the waste at the bottom of the secondary went into the keg. (all of it) tasted it after a few days brown and not good so I just forgot about it for about 3 weeks brewed my 4th and was going to clean the keg poored a cup and what do you know looks like a million bucks and the taste is coming along. Question is now that it has cleared up and I dumped about a gallon to get the waste out would it be worth salvaging. Sorry this is so long

Try leaving them in the primary for 2 weeks and then checking the gravity. If you are at your final gravity after checking over a couple of days then rack to your keg and hit it with CO2. I find that most of my beers are decent after 1 week in the keg, better after 2 weeks and then right where i want them after 3 weeks. A stout, depending on recipe, might take a full 3-4 weeks or longer in the keg to come in to its own

I guess i don't understand what you mean by salvaging the beer? Is it in the keg and pouring clean? Does it still not taste good?

It is normal to have the first few pints out of a keg have some sediment in them, but if you are pouring out 1 gallon before you get a clean pint we need to look at your process and determine why you are getting so much sediment into the keg.

Are you transferring the yeast/trub that has settled out in the primary to the secondary, and then all of the yeast/trub from the secondary into the keg?

Step 1. Stouts are going to take some time to get good so leave your stout in the fermenter for 3 to 4 weeks. Don't move it to secondary, it won't help anything.
Step 2. Carefully rack the beer to the keg, trying to leave most of the trub in the fermenter. Don't stress overmuch if you get a little, it will settle out along with the yeast that will be still suspended. Put the lid on a pressurize the keg to seal.
Step 3. Hide this keg for some time. Stouts take time to fully mature. I leave mine in bottles for at least 6 months because I like the taste better and they continue to improve for at least another year.
Step 4. Restrain yourself. Try not to drink the entire keg the first day. You'll be rewarded if you can wait.

I use the clear beer draught system in all of my kegs, it is a float system that replaces the dip tube and draws the beer from the top of the keg. I was having clogged dip tube problems and this ingenious systems solved it and also allows me to dry hop right in the keg, I throw the hops right in and they sink below the float that is on the top of the beer. Why drink from the bottom of the keg? When the keg kicks only sediment is left.

http://www.clearbeerdraughtsystem.com

Back